SNAKE VACCINE ..How to properly have it administered

Discussion in 'Bird Dogs, Upland, Migratory & Waterfowl' started by kninebirddog, Jun 7, 2007.

1. The snake vaccine IS NOT A YEARLY BOOSTER If it isn't kept up it is not going to be effective at all
    Here is the proper information copied from Red Rock Biologics the makers of the Snake vaccine and how to properly keep your dogs titer counts up
    www.redrockbiologics.com/FAQ.html
    How long does protection last? How often should my dog be vaccinated?
    The maximum protection generated by vaccination typically becomes available about four to six weeks after the most recent vaccine booster dose. That protection then declines slowly over time. Vaccinated dogs typically receive good protection for about six months after boostering. Depending on the dog, some protection may continue out to a year, or longer.
    The first time your dog is vaccinated, we recommend an initial vaccine injection followed by a booster dose about one month later. The recommended subsequent boostering schedule of one, two or three vaccine doses per year depends upon your dog's anticipated exposure to rattlesnakes and the size of your dog.
    Most dogs that are exposed to rattlesnakes for less than six months per year will only require a single booster dose for that year. The best time to give that dose is approximately one month before the start of the rattlesnake "season." This category includes dogs who live in roughly the northern half of the United States, or dogs who briefly visit locations where rattlesnakes may be active -- such as during a camping or hunting trip.
    If your dog will be in an area where rattlesnakes are active for more than six months per year (roughly the southern half of the United States) we recommend two annual booster doses given four to six months apart. Again, the first booster dose should be given one month before the rattlesnake season begins. The second dose is given approximately half-way through the season.
    If your dog is at particular risk of being bitten by a rattlesnake (for example, a search and rescue dog, some hunting dogs or dogs living in a high density rattlesnake area), you should consider using three booster doses per year at four month intervals.
    Since resistance to venom depends upon the amount of venom neutralizing antibody available, small dogs (under 25 pounds) are at increased risk of envenomation injury. Because of this, a third dose in the initial sequence, and in subsequent years more frequent boosters (e.g. every four to six months), may be advisable in small dogs to maximize their antibody production for more protection.
    Large dogs (over 100 pounds) do not develop as high an antibody level as intermediate-sized dogs in response to the two dose initial sequence. For this reason, large dogs may also benefit from a third dose in the initial sequence, although they do not necessarily require additional annual booster doses to maintain that antibody level.

2. Ok here is the pics...This dog has not been snake avoidance trained but the owner is going to have it done and his other dogs to back up the vaccine and now knows about how the vaccines are supposed to be administered.
    This dog had the vaccine BUT it has been about 10 months since he had the last shot...I have seen snake bite on dogs this does not look any different then what I saw in other dogs that did not have the vaccine..same swelling and sloughing of the wound area...
    The reports I have heard form those dogs with the vaccine at the high titer count levels had very little swelling and a lot less tissue damage
    the two photos of the dog sitting up are Day # 5 after the strike and after 48 hours of IV's
    the other 2 of him with under shots of the head are day 11
    and some of the info that was relayed

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So ...those of you who are doing the vaccines ..Be sure your following the schedule that Red Rock reccomends

3. well i hate to tell you but from what i hear from ppl they say those snake shots really dont work. and i will take the chance we had a dog get bite by a mohave green and the vet didnt even test for it so we had to put her down. but thats fine i wont get that shot for my dogs. glad that dog lived.

4. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Kninebirddog, Thank you so much for this Post.
    Some good Info on the snake vaccines. I am sure the members will find this very helpful.

We always look forward to your posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  5. Wow I never even heard of snake vacines...thanks for info...I see we learn something everyday.:)

6. Snake Avoidance is our preferred method for the dogs...
    I know of stories where the vaccine has helped..but again those were dogs that had the high titers

but I always say Snake Avoidance is Insurance and the Vaccine is uninsured motorist

and no it doesn't work on the mohave rattler
    I personally do not see giving a shot every 4-6 months ...but there are many people who try to do everything tey can to protect their companions..a\and if one should decide to do the vaccine...it must be done right for it to be effective..and that is provided you don't come across the wrong kinda rattler

7. also another very important thing about the vaccine it is to help slow the reaction of the venom giving more time to get to a vet..it still needs to be tended to specially for secondary infections

but it has been proven in many cases to keep the swelling and sloughing down.

I know quite a few people inTexas who swear by the vaccine..but then again you just have them stout version of the westernat least in most of texas where we ahve been...specially the hill country

8. Chief

Chief Guest

Our Dobbie gets the vaccine 3 times a year as we live in a high density area of rattlers. If it works or not - hope we never have to find out. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

9. Awhile ago, in my position of Safety Director, I was convincing the President for the need of steel-toed boots in our facility. He said "I've heard that in some cases something can fall on your foot hard enough to cause the steel cap to collapse and cut your toes off". I said "think about that - if it hits your foot hard enough to cut your toes off, then it it would have crushed your toes anyway.." The moral? I guess it makes more sense to have a vaccine that might work, then to not have one at all...

10. lmao...yep hear the same thing about steel toed boots...I totally agree with you.:) :cool: