So I bought this KA in an attempt to DIY my own game.

Discussion in 'Polls, Suggestions, Tips & "How To's"' started by Skorzeny, Jul 6, 2020.

1. I think most people just buy a stuffer unit separate, Then your not swapping back and forth, plus an all in one unit is just heavier and more parts to misplace. But I would like any thoughts from anyone on that thinking, I need a new stuffer and dont know what brand yet, really want to try small diameter sticks like Jalapeno and cheese to smoke. The processors charge a pretty penny for those sticks. Going to Show Low next week to scout, stoping at processor to buy and stock up on his sticks for the hunt and for eating here at the house. G Pa had some good ones at rabbit camo a couple of years ago.

Skorzeny likes this.
  2. used my counter top grinder to stuff, 30 lbs was a bit much for it, haven't tried the big one. I do have an elbow looking stuffer from Cabela's, friend loaned it to me and doesn't want it back. It worked fine, used a long handled wooden spoon to push last of meat out of tube. Was using hog casings, come packed in salt water and get many pounds out of a pack, would make up my batch and put rest of casings in ziplock with water and kosher salt. Wife isn't big on links so I quit making them, less work so fine by me.

3. The grinder worked ok. I did my deer last year but would like something better. The sausage stuffer was a pain. I contantly had to put what i thought was way too much pressure to get it to go through. I would not recommend using KA for sausage stuffing.

Bearfoot im with you on the jalapeno and cheddar sticks. Girlfriend is willing to hunt elk only because of those sticks no joke. plus we all consider them a delicacy and they don't last long. haha. Id rather get a grinder and stuffer that is larger than what i would need so it won't struggle plus last longer. Im still looking at the grinders but yeah would be nice to not have to switch back and forth between units when working.

Schoom14 likes this.
  4. Schoom14

Schoom14 Staff Member Mod Premium Member

Good to know! Thanks for the input.

5. So i ended up grabbing Weston units reviews seem pretty good and from what i could find their motors are a little more durable than LEM (less overheating). Got the 1hp grinder seemed like a good in between and the 11lb stuffer is probably a little over kill but thats ok. Can't wait to try them out and see how they do. Jalapeno and cheddar snack sticks are number 1 to try on the list. If anyone has a good recipe for them please let me know. I'll trade snack sticks for a good recipe any day. Also did the images work? i can't see them says IMG. tnx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    https://www.arizonahuntingforums.com/media/weston-stuffer.604/
    https://www.arizonahuntingforums.com/media/weston-grinder.606/

6. Schoom14

Schoom14 Staff Member Mod Premium Member

Just have to click the link and it takes you to the photos. Let us know how it works out

Skorzeny likes this.
  7. Skorzeny, Dont have a Recipe, but if you need a taste tester, Im your guy. Good Luck with the stuffer, always wanted one myself, never bought one though other then KA.

Skorzeny likes this.
  8. I did have a questions for those who have had snack sticks. I have had them made with a seasoning shaped like a small round ball. Yellowish in color. Any had some like this and would you happen to know what seasoning that is? Tnx