Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Cochise had mentioned in another post he and I are going back to Parker Canyon to settle a score with wily coyote. He had mentioned either the first or second week of January, well the boss lady has just informed me that the first week is a no-go. So instead of telling her that I was the man of the house and I'll go hunting and fishing with the guys whenever I damn well please I just said in my most manly voice "OK dear". Now here is the story, something for everyone, plenty of room for everyone, can call predators,coyote, bobcat, lion and bear all in the area. For the archer you are in great coues country, for the hiker plenty of trails, fish the lake for trout, bass, gills and cats, for the photographer - you can wear out a finger just pressing the camera button, plenty of birds for the bird hunters and great for dogs. Now, as in all things in life everything is not all peaches and cream, January nights are cold down here, temperatures can be freezing, but days are normally pleasant. My trailer has a limited capacity, 4 at the most, Cochise and I already have used up two of those spaces, the other two will be on a first come first serve basis. There are latrines available at the campsites, along with barbeque grills, picnic tables and fresh water, ten bucks a night per campsite. I plan on being there from 10 January (Wednesday) through the afternoon of 14 Jan (Sunday). This is a chance for bowhuntingmanic to fill that coues tag, TallPaul to kill a coyote, Dutchman to run those pups and all of us to enjoy a bunch of lies. If'n you can't be there for the entire time no problem, come when you can, we may even be able to shuffle people in and out of the trailer for the night, depending on who is coming and when. Easy driving and the road is paved all the way into the campsite.

Just a couple of pictures for your enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Chief - How long does it take to drive there, from our neck of the woods?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would guess three hours, easy drive take I-10 east to the Sonoita/Patagona exit follow the signs, believe it's SR 83. You'll need to get gas in Sonoita, no gas once you leave Sonoita, I normally take an extra 10 gallon jug, just to get me home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garth, you'll never see better looking Coues country than that second picture. I can also show ya some excellent Goulds turkey area.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I guess it's the second weekend. For those interested in hiking. There's a nice and easy trail that surrounds the whole lake. It took me about five hours to compete it. That was taking my time to check out sign and what have ya. Have any of you ever got to see an Bald Eagle take flight and soar out over a lake? What a view that was. You can't hunt the lake itself, but there's a whole lot of country near the campsites. It's really nice hunting country. I hope you all can make it.

·
Administrator
6,603 Posts
I'll most likely be trying to stick a muley off-and-on through the entire month of January. The rut is generally in full-swing then. Since I'll be hunting the deserts not too awful far from Parker, it's possible I could stop by on my way to or from my hunt trips. Sounds fun, and looking at the pics, that's some great coyote country, but I really want to smack a monster desert muley.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I haven't been in that area in awhile. I did kill my first Coues buck right in that area many years ago. I have to ask the warden to let me out on parole for a couple of days, and if things go as planned with the relatives that are invading for the holidays, I would truly love to pop a few birds and maybe a yote or two.
Do you think I will need my chest waders or just my hip boots to wade through all the bull that will be flying?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trip?

I should be able to make that trip ( as of now) things should slow down a little a work. I would make it down on the Saturday. BUTTTTTT ,I can't commit as of now. Wish I made it down there the last time. Looking forward to the trip.
Talked to my (Female Boss) :lol: wife and she just laughed. She said, I better worry about get the time off work first. Weekends are supposed to off, but as of now the end of year push is on. :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
hey Chief,
I would love to jump all over that, but I will haveta wait until the January hunt.
I haveta stay close to home during the holidays as I am the only one to run the business then.
Then I haveta get my pig out of the way......
How much hunting pressure is there around there?
Gould's arent open for archery in August are they? :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Friz95, hope you can make it. Depending on how long you can stay would dictate which to bring, if only for the day hip boots should be fine, if staying overnight you may need a set of chest waders :wink:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wow, the wife actually told me I could go and to have fun...as long as my relatives have left by then. Hmmm....now what do you suppose she is up to:?:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Fritz,

Does it matter????? :twisted:

If somehow I can kill and pig and somehow again get my Brother In Law to kill a pig. Then if my schedule allows, and the wife dosent have anything for me to do, Then hopefully I will be there.

I cant vouch for any of the rest of ya's but Chief is a good guy to share a camp with. Been on several outings with him so far, and cant remember any of them. :twisted:, so nothing bad happened, thus hes a good guy to hang out with. :D :D

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Sounds like a good plan I am planning to come. I am trying to talk my son into going but thats the weekend after his AT (NG unit is going to Germany).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is what the trailer looks like, so if'n you should see it, stop in and we'll share a story or two. So far the only trailer occupants I have are myself and Cochise. Room for two more, I'll just need to know what nights you'll be staying. Don't forget for those that are going to be tenting, it gets cold out there.

If'n anybody is planning on being there on Wednesday I'll do lunch and dinner, just let me know how many are coming so I'll know what to buy and how much. Lunch will be around noon and will probably be Italian Sausage Soup & Salad with a Blue Cheese dressing. Dinner will either be a salmon dish or a pasta dish. I'll also do diner another evening for the entire group once I find out how many are coming and for what nights.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
My plan is to arrive around noon on Friday. Any requests for the Pot luck? I will have plenty of adult libations!

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
As it stand now, I will be by myself. I am trying to talk a couple of friends to come along.
To answer your question I would love to stay in the Trailer, thanks.
But I will have a tent if the 3 of us make it.
How is the wood around there? I will bring my axes and saws for wood if its available, or I cane bring some
from here.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK your in the trailer if your friends don't show, trailer is now booked full for at least Friday night and as long as drpice and Cochise are there, Wednesday and Thursday nights still available. National forest so cutting, even if dead and down, is prohibited without a permit. I'll stop by the Ranger station sometime next week and see if any permits are available. See ya on the 12th

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
OK,,,,

The magic scheueling book for 2007 says that I have the 10,11,12 and 13th off from my regular job. However I have a shift on a side job on the 11th. So that would leave the 12 and 13 to play, Now all I have to do is get permission from the schedule keeper. I will keep you posted. I'm going to pull as many strings as possibe, but no promises at this point.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
I e-mailed the contact on the web site last Saturday with the question about wood cutting and have still recieved
no answer. Chief did you have a chance to check on the permits?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts