Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With just a month before the opener, is there any other members that would be interested in shooting some clays at Ben Avery? I usually just shoot trap when I go alone. Would also be interested in 5 stand as well.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Buster, I am pretty close to Ben Avery and can meet up sometime before the opener. I am not a big trap shooter though, I pretty much only shoot sporting clays.

Reactions: Buster

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
I know what it is, but we will let an expert explain it to you.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I would possibly be interested. Only time I can do it is first thing Saturday. I live 20 min from Ben Avery. Gpbobo and I have talked about doing it so he might be ibterested

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
What is the diffreace between clays & trap shooting? This shows how much I bird hunt huh? Lmao
Lol, not an expert but trap shooting involves taking 1-5 positions around a trap house and breaking targets between 16-30 yards. These are all going away targets and make for good practice but it's very repetitive. Trap shooting requires a lot of concentration, focus, and mechanical repetition which I am not very good at. It's fun with a group though.

Sporting clays is golfing with a shotgun. You go through the "course" by traveling to different stations, each one having two different presentations. Assuming there are a good number of stations, this allows for a great variety of different targets which I find a lot more fun and challenging.

Reactions: BW56 and Ramspeed

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Saturday could work for me, but I'd have to be there right when they open and I would have to split after about an hour. Next Saturday is the last Saturday before the opener.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would love to go but at that time of the morning I will be in the air coming back from Oklahoma.

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
They are having a $5 special to get you ready for dove season
I saw that yesterday, heck, a few years ago that what it cost anyway, clay birdies dont cost that much.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
What is the $5 special? I will be out there sometime in the next few days so I can test out my sweet new (to me) 20 gauge autoloader. It is a Remington 11-87 upland special with a 23" barrel, super mint condition. This will be my backup/truck gun:

Wood Automotive exterior Flooring Floor Grass

Reactions: Logan and Ramspeed

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Somehow I lost track of this thread. Sporting Clays can get a little pricey, so I mostly shot wobble trap until the pin broke on the machine last last week, so I switched to double trap. They only have one wobble field and it’s pretty challenging, because it’s faster than standard trap and has an erratic target angle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts