The Year Was 1955 And I Was 15 Years Old

Discussion in 'Community Campfire' started by Chief, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief Guest

Some of the quotes I remember:

"I'll tell ya one thing, if things keep going the way they are it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20."

"Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2,000 will only buy a used one."

"if cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous." (I can actually remember paying 7 cents a pack on a troop ship headed to Korea, no state or federal tax once you are in international waters.)

"Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter."

"if they raise the minimum wage to $1. nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store." (My first job was 35 cents an hour.)

"When I first started driving who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage." (I can remember gas at 11 cents a gallon during the gas wars in OK and TX.)

"I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying "damn" in Gone With The Wind, it seems that every new movie has either "hell" or "damn" in it."

"Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play baseball? It wouldn't suprise me if someday they'll be making more than the president."

"I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business."

"There is no sense going on vacation anymore. It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel."

"No one can afford to be sick anymore, $35 a day in the hospital is too rich for my blood."

"If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a haircut, forget it." (I can remember 15 cent haircuts, my mom use to give me a quarter and I could keep the change.)

Saved the best for the last: "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people."

2. I dont remember any quotes.

My first real job, I was making $3.18 /hr working for UncleSam. National Park Service as a YCC trail crew rebuilding trails in the Chirachaua National Monument. That would have been 1987.

My first job I made 15$ /day, helping a rancher out on the weekends, and during the summer. And those were a little more then 8 hour days. LOL

I remember fuel at 75 cents a gallon, and insurance $15 a month for my beat up old truck.

I remember a box of 20 guage shells costing around 1 dollar. Me and a friend of mine would save up and try and buy them by the case, which I remember being $12.50 for light field loads. And being able tto get a box of rifle shells for $5. for either the 06 or the .223. Those being soft points.

Thats about the extent of my memories about those times. I could possibly relate the costs of specific types of alcohol, but is not something a teenager should be able to recount. LOL.

Shane

3. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

I've resisted replying to this thread for various reasons, but...

I remember gas at $0.24.9 a gallon. Me and a buddy used to ride his mini-bike all day on a gallon of gas (for a quarter).

The "Movies" were .35 cents, and that was for a "double feature".

I clearly remember the day President J F Kennedy was assassinated. All of us kids were ushered into the school Auditorium to watch the news cast, and a few days later, the funeral.

My first real job was washing dishes at a Chinese restaurant in 1968. A whooping .75 cents/hour. My 2nd real job was in 1969, working as a milk delivery boy, and was paid an unbelievable... $1.00/hr. . Yep, I actually delivered bottles of fresh milk door-to-door. Eggs, juice and cottage cheese too!

I remember watching the Lawrence Welk Show, the Ed Sullivan Show, and the Red Skelton Hour with the entire family.

I remember pick-up trucks with the "starter" pedal on floor, located left of the clutch pedal. All of them had chain and hook tailgate latches.

I remember gun racks in the rear windows of almost every pick-up truck in town. Most had 2-3 guns in them, and they were almost always left unlocked overnight, just like our house doors.

I can vividly remember the name of the Chief of Police as a young boy, but I can't recall the name of even one town Mayor.

I could go on, but then, I'd just give away my age. :roll:

4. Chief

Chief Guest

And I was on my way back to Vietnam for my second tour.

5. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

If'n you'd really like to know, I was born August 4, 1955.

That makes your original post most interesting to me.

6. waraw

waraw Guest

AZ Thunder & Chief
    I was born between both of you.

There are alots of good memories.
    Just a couple I remember.

Gas 24.9 gal gas war 14.9 gal,my dad bought 2 55 gal drums to store gas.

My school bused down to washington st to see President Kennedy.
    We had made a banner in support of him. he did turn and read the banner then look and waved to us.
    He was assassinated a few days later.

First job 1961 at 9yrs old cleaning brick at 1 penny per brick at 19 ave grand remodling a bar.

First truck had the starter pedal on floor,it was no the right side of brake pedal.
    You had to turn your foot sideways ,heal on gas pedal ball of foot on starter pedal to start engine.
    51 chev pickup
    thanks for the post I stop to remember .

7. The year was 1955 and I was also 15 years old living in Ames, IA. We NEVER had a snow day, in fact we never even heard of a snow day off. I had to walk to school too. What a bunch of whimps here in Tucson. LOL