Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just wanted to throw up a picture of a prehistoric blade I found back in 1976. It's a paleo-period point that's been classified as a Clovis point. It dates back to 10,000 - 12,000 years ago. I'm always looking for surface finds of prehistoric nature when I'm out hunting, hiking or scouting.

I recently took it to a guy named Ben Stermer of Western Typology in Scottsdale and paid to have a Certifcate of Authenticity (COA) done on it. It's made from some absolutely gorgeous agatized petrified wood. I found it between Joseph City and Winslow, just south of Territorial Road and between Chevelon and McDonald's Canyon.

I hope to regularly post some of my nicer finds. This is by far, my nicest point. Rated: G10. Take a second and click on the pic to see the full-size image. Hope you enjoy looking.

·
Administrator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might add that during Ben's examination of my Clovis, he could see visual :shock: evidence (microscope) that the point had been re-sharpened on two occasions. He estimates it is now one-third shorter in length than when it was originally knapped. Amazing what the "experts" can determine. If only artifacts could speak.

·
Administrator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A G-10 rating is a totally perfect point, both in condition and appearance. G-9 is near perfect, and so on. Most folks try to frame/display G-8's or above. Finding a G-10 point is a tough task. I'd estimate that for every perfect point that I find, I find a hundred or more imperfect ones. The fact my Clovis is thousands of years old and a G-10 point, is remarkable. Ben estimates the value of my Clovis at $5K and up, depending on the buyer. BTW, it's not for sale!

Here's a picture of a Clovis point that Ben Stermer recently purchased for $1500.00. He said he's been offered $2500.00 for it by a couple of other collectors. This particular Clovis is made from "fossiliferous Chert". I would rate this point a G-9. Notice the tip and slight base damage. Still, a very nice Clovis specimen.

And a link to his website, Western Typology: http://www.westernartifacts.com/westerntypology.htm

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
We need to get together and go head hunting Dan. After the monsoon rains there ought to be some good stuff uncovered.

·
Administrator
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uhm... I've only been ready since February. :roll: Let me know when, I'm sure I can arrange it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too like to look for that stuff. Those are great points. Far better than anything I've ever found.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts