Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well myself and my Buds Scott and Robert G all met up on Tonto this morning before full light. In the first 2 hrs, Scott and I had a total of 0 fish and Robert caught one and let it go. Its not that the fish are absent, to the contrary, They are stacked up in the pools or of rough water edge, Just not eating the baits completely, just holding in there mouths for awhile. Fun to watch fish fight for your bait and not get caught, several were halfway to the shore then open their mouths and out pops your bait. We tried about 10 colors of Powerbait including Brown and purple. All had about the same results, NADA.

Next trip we will get them for sure !!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Try spinners,

Green.

Reactions: bearfoot1

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about it, very small creek, Lots of trees, brush, Id be hung up within first 5 casts for sure. May try that with a shorter pole next time.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Yeah, to Bear's point, too small of a creek with too many snag opps.
Thought about it, but then thought better of it!
Maybe a treble hook with the bait...? :unsure:

Dave, I did catch the bigger guy that was swimming that hole - he is being cooked as I type
Then up creek with Scott, he was able to catch two.
I caught two more little guys, littler than my first. And lost two bigger ones...
Fishing wasn't easy! They were definitely just mouthing the bait most of the time!
But, friends and wet lines makes for a great time!
Cheers!
Tonta Falls 1 (2).jpg

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Looks like nice place to fish,
you may want to try short pole and small nymph and bubble set up.
I use to fish this set up while hiking up in the sierras.

Green.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I fount it on one of the stream fishing websites:

"it is a very efficient way to fish. Definitely more efficient than fishing with a lure, and actually more efficient than flyfishing with a fly rod. But not as much fun...

"

Green.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good morning to all-

I've been lucky enough to fish in a whole lot of places for a whole lot of different kinds of fish, but that particular little stream is one of the prettiest flows I've ever seen. And having trout in it just makes it better. You know that in some of the deeper holes and secret pockets there are some big old holdover trout that have learned how to avoid getting caught.
But you have to be careful up there on the rim- there are bears and there are Bears in that country. Just sayin'....

you all be safe and keep well-
Ed

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ed, I’ve heard about the bears in that area but so far I’ve only experienced turkey, elk, and javelina. Plenty of blackberries to attract those bears though so I stay alert!

Here’s the hole I caught my two, for some reason they were interested in the sherbet Powerbait here. Interestingly, I dangled a salmon egg wet fly in this hole with my Tenkara rod, a trout hit my bait first then the strike indicator went down fast. There’s not much rhyme or reason to what they’ll bite on at Tonto, my personal tactic is to change baits often, and they seem to be hungrier and swallow more aggressively at the upper holes that I sometimes hike into.

My wife and I worked remotely yesterday from Tonto Village, I stayed busier than a one-armed paper hanger trying to keep our laptops charged but it was still a nice cool breezy day. The coffee, hash browns, and eggs were a perfect start to the day, the steaks the previous night were even better! Trout will go on the smoker soon along with the 4 I have in my freezer.

@bearfoot1 & @Robert Gonzalez it is always good to spend time in your company, many thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts