Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tow my boat with my Tahoe and in the peak of summer I am seeing high transmission temps over 200 and I am considering adding a transmission cooler. The coolers are not expensive just not sure I trust myself to do it. 5.3L with factory max trailering package (8600#) the boat dry wieght is 4200#.

I have not had any idiot lights come on warning of high temps I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing any damage.

Edit: The highest temp I have seen is about 220 in stop and go traffic last summer.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Put the cooler on it, its always is a good idea for cooler temps and larger capacity even if minimal. 200 is okay but much over that I would be slowing down my speeds

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the cooler on it, its always is a good idea for cooler temps and larger capacity even if minimal. 200 is okay but much over that I would be slowing down my speeds
Any recommendations where to have it done?

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Most mechanics can do this, I have a regular guy I go to, you prolly do to, not a big job other then getting fittings in place. Easy Peasy!!!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is still under warranty, do you think I have any issues there?

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
Both my Durmax ran about 200 towing. They might get to 220 on runs to Flag or Payson pulling 14K of toy hauler But once it flattened out the temp would go back to 200 .I have been using Curts Auto for years.

Reactions: 5footshotgroup

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Last year was hot, and it was brrrrrrutal on my coolant and transmission temps. Lights never came on, going up the hills from the valley on the 17 and going slow it defnitely spiked. I run an Bluetooth ODB tool to keep an eye on things. the GM fluid handles up to like 270 or something crazy, get the cooler, it definitely helps. I wouldnt worry about spikes but prolonged high temperatures.
I have the 6.2 silverado with the max trailering package.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last year was hot, and it was brrrrrrutal on my coolant and transmission temps. Lights never came on, going up the hills from the valley on the 17 and going slow it defnitely spiked. I run an Bluetooth ODB tool to keep an eye on things. the GM fluid handles up to like 270 or something crazy, get the cooler, it definitely helps. I wouldnt worry about spikes but prolonged high temperatures.
I have the 6.2 silverado with the max trailering package.
Yeah nothing prolonged it would get hottest in stop and go traffic. 218 might have been the highest when pulling up to canyon lake. I am just using the stock transmission temp gauge and keep it on when towing. I towed the boat last weekend and it didn’t go past 205.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m going to get the cooler and have it installed before the summer hits.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Remember if you tow often you should change your transmission fluid and filter more frequently. Fluid, filter and new gasket is really cheap under 100 bucks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I installed one when I had my 06 titan and at the same time bypassed the factory one which was I believe in the radiator?
Heard people saying if your radiator goes you end up with strawberry milkshake in your tranny and need a rebuild.
one day coming out of Costco I saw the dreaded green coolant under my truck. I replaced the radiator and no issues.
when I towed my camper up to the rim to camp she was working for sure. Rpms were High but never got any warning lights

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
And if you do change fluid go synthetic. I use Amsoil in everything. More expensive but I think worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't bypass the radiator, in cold weather it helps warm the fluid quicker. DR

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Dont use " Synthetic" if you have leaks or such, being so much thinner or Slippery, you will see more on ground or concrete by using this product. Most of my work trucks have a leak or two, so there is no parking on customers driveways without tarping said vehicle, keep customers happy at all times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts