Trout and Olives

Discussion in 'The Chuck Wagon' started by Chief, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Paul I know you'll catch at least 4 trout so let start with that presumption.

Ingredients:

4 Medium trout
    4 tablespoons olive oil
    4 bay leaves
    Salt and fresh ground black pepper
    4 thin slices of pancetta
    4 tablespoons chopped shallots
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilentro
    1/2 cup dry white wine - plus a glass or two for the cook.
    24 green olives pitted

Have you campfire coals red hot - no fire just HOT charcoal.

Wash you trout well in very cold water, not the stream water you caught them out of, but fresh ice cold water. Pat dry.

Cut 4 pieces of aluminum foil the appropriate size to wrap your fish in. Place a bay leave in each cavity and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Wrap a slice of pancetta around each trout. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon each of chopped shallots and cilentro. Drizzle each fish with 1 tablespoon of oil and 2 tablespoons of white wine, add 6 olives to each packet.

Close the foil loosely around each trout rolling the edges together to seal them completely.

Place in campfire charcoal and cover completely, enjoy a gin martini, with two large olives and take your trout out of the charcoal in about 20 to 25 minutes.

A nice spring salad with a simple oil and vinegar dressing and some red beets would make a nice fireside feast, along with some more white wine of course. A glass of Disaronno Amaretto on the rocks would cap a perfect day of Arizona trout fishing.

2. Dang! That sounds pretty good. I'll give that a try if I manage to catch a couple next time out.
    I cooked some in foil in the oven in a similar manner but with a few slices of onion, lemon, S&P, and butter. Not bad, but I'm always looking to improve.

Thanks for posting the recipe! I'll be sure to report back once I give it a try. Do you suppose black calamata olives would work, or should I stick with green?

3. I suppose the calamata would work just fine - but I use the green because I enjoy a martini while the fish is cooking :D