Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a kid, the local call maker was Quaker Boy and the box call was what we all started with. Here, I kept hearing that copper pots cut through the mountain air better than any other. That may or may not be true, but this custom call sounds great and is made locally. The craftsmanship is top notch! Let's see or hear about what everyone is using!

ED58FC76-1671-410E-8100-764E077B5835.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
13,971 Posts
I got a slate call with A WOODEN DOWEL, Like the one pictured above, works great and has good sound. also got a box call, dont use it as much, easy to use though.

Reactions: Buster

·
Super Moderator
1,922 Posts
I picked up some diaphragm calls to practice with, will definitely be needing more practice so I’ll leave those home for the hunt. I’ll have a box call with and just use that.

·
Super Moderator
2,624 Posts
I use a custom box call made for my son by Marvin Robbins (aka Boss Gobbler, RIP) and a slate call similar to the one in the picture. I have too bad of a gag reflex to use diaphragm calls.

·
Administrator
6,547 Posts
I have only ever used diaphragm calls. Pics wouldn't be very interesting.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up some diaphragm calls to practice with, will definitely be needing more practice so I'll leave those home for the hunt. I'll have a box call with and just use that.
I'm working on learning some mouth calls too. Those things aren't easy! First, I tried the "Beginners Double" by Quaker Boy, because I found it at Sportsman's and the name recognition. I can't get it to work right! Little Creek Calls also makes mouth calls and his double reed is relatively easier for me to make some basic yelps and clucks. Still working on the purring!

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I started with an inexpensive box call but moved onto mouth calls I like to have both hands on my shotgun reduces movement for me. I am using the primos mouth calls. I have 4 that I use fairly well. Mine came with a CD you could listed to that gave me key words to help me make the various calls. Usually this time of year I am practicing an hour or so a day on my commute but right now just working on fitness. One tip on mouth calls is to use your phone to record yourself, I found that it sounds better than you think it does.

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
Depends upon circumstances. I am not terribly good with a mouth call but can get by. They have come in when I was using one. I usually start on the roost with a slate and some soft calls. When they fly down I stick with the slate until I know they are moving my way and then go to a push button because I can hold it against my leg to muffle the sound and make them think she is moving away. If the hens pull the toms away after fly down I will get on the box call and go to town. This usually pisses the hens off and they come in for a fight dragging the toms along with them. If it is windy, like really windy (Kansas) I use a box call because it carries further in the wind.

I try to avoid over calling. Once you call and get a response he knows exactly where you are, or at least the direction and if he gets louder, he is coming in. Over calling can run him of. He gets suspicious, especially in public hunting areas. Give him a few clucks, purrs etc to let him know you are happy. In this circumstance I have had them hang up just out of range because they got there and could not see hens (I was running and gunning and did not have time). That is when I put the push button on my leg and do the sound muffling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I was a kid, the local call maker was Quaker Boy and the box call was what we all started with. Here, I kept hearing that copper pots cut through the mountain air better than any other. That may or may not be true, but this custom call sounds great and is made locally. The craftsmanship is top notch! Let's see or hear about what everyone is using!

View attachment 16644
I often carry several different calls. I use a Primos box cutter, an H.S. Strut slate call, multiple different red call variations and sometimes a locator call like a duck, crow call or gobble shaker. I like having the options to switch up sounds on a stubborn Tom. Especially if I've been hunting the same are for a few days. That copper pot looks pretty sweet. Might have to check into one.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've got a set of 3 mouth calls from Primos that came with the instructional CD, honest to god I sound like a dying duck when I use them :eek: Those Little Creek pot calls definitely interest me, their website has a great video from AZGFD.

·
Registered
516 Posts
First time I went turkey hunting (4 years ago) I used a mouth call. I was awful at it. Heard more gobbles that year than any subsequent year. Now I use a slate call, sounds better to me, but turkeys don't respond. Guess next time out it will be the diaphragm again, even though I sound like a deranged turkey with a sore throat. Got a whole year to practice. Thinking of going out of state to try my luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like Knight & Hale Turkey Pot Call because It’s the best turkey call delivering high-quality sound with less movement and you can use the product for any weather condition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts