Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm non-resident from Utah and drew my first AZ elk tag. I know scouting before hand may not give me much intel as the elk will migrate off the rim or be pushed down on the late hunts from what I've read. I do plan on making a trip down there this summer to get a lay of the land.

How has the moisture been on this unit over the last several months?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Welcome! Check out the Welcome and Orientation section of the forum and tell us a little bit about yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! Check out the Welcome and Orientation section of the forum and tell us a little bit about yourself.
Thanks for the reply. I'm 42 years old, born and raised in Utah. I've been hunting my whole life and I basically ride a desk for a living. Hunting is life and I'm excited to be hunting elk in AZ this year even if I haven't heard a lot of good things about this unit...haha.

Drawing a decent to good quality rifle elk unit in Utah can take many years plus there's a 5 year waiting period before you can apply again if you draw.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
No elk in 22N during the late rifle. With that being said, you got my tag. How many points did you enter the draw with. Late rifle or late late rifle?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
22N is a great unit and there are a lot of Elk there. The late rifle is a tough hunt though after the animals have been shot at for nearly 5 months by then. It's DRY here. The unit is large and there are elk throughout especially in winter. I am sure you don't want to hear this but the Elk are where you find them. Water is always key in Arizona but the unit actually has perennial water unlike other AZ units.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No elk in 22N during the late rifle. With that being said, you got my tag. How many points did you enter the draw with. Late rifle or late late rifle?
I'm one of the oddities and drew it with one point. No one was more surprised than me. I drew the 11/26 - 12/2 tag.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
22N is a great unit and there are a lot of Elk there. The late rifle is a tough hunt though after the animals have been shot at for nearly 5 months by then. It's DRY here. The unit is large and there are elk throughout especially in winter. I am sure you don't want to hear this but the Elk are where you find them. Water is always key in Arizona but the unit actually has perennial water unlike other AZ units.
That's good know, thanks for the info. Glad to hear some positive feedback about the unit. I'll focus my efforts on finding water.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I drew it 2 years ago with 0 points. 22N is like hunting the OTC Gunnison. Lots of hunters. Stick around and become active on the forum, ( not just about your hunt) and I am sure someone will warm up to you and have invaluable tips. Heck, no promises at this point, but if my work allows and I don’t draw a Idaho moose tag, I may even show up and help you glass, just to learn more of the unit myself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more thing. What are your expectations for bull size?
Thanks for the offer, you're more than welcome to join if you can. I'd like a 300+ inch bull and would shoot the biggest one I find of course but the older I get the more I value being out hunting and I love elk meat. I wouldn't pass on a decent sized bull either.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
A 300 bull is asking a lot of 22N, especially on a dry year. They are there, few and far between. My hopes were for a 280+ and fell short of that on the last day, but did chase a couple in that range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A 300 bull is asking a lot of 22N. They are there, few and far between. My hopes were for a 280+ and fell short of that on the last day, but did chase a couple in that range.
That's good to know, I'd be real happy with a 280 bull or even less. I archery hunt spikes or cows here in Utah due the regulations so I'm grateful to have the chance to shoot something bigger than a spike or a cow. I did eat tag soup on a Utah limited entry archery elk hunt back in 2016 so I've been itching to have a crack at an elk other than junior or his mother.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's good know, thanks for the info. Glad to hear some positive feedback about the unit. I'll focus my efforts on finding water.
I did that hunt in 2019 and was my first draw too for 22N. There is a lot of competition up there. Lots of ATVs and side by sides making a of of noise. You will have better luck hunting the areas that is hard to get to. remember its snowing that time of year so pack warm and expect to be out there for the whole hunt.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I'm thinking you should do well camped off the Twin Buttes Road as close as possible to the No. Mazatzal Wilderness edge. Probably wont see many other hunters in there. I'm interested in checking that area out as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
I live in 22N, thats going to be one tough hunt for skittish elk. Ive got my spots, but not willing to share to someone I dont know. Find water, steep, nasty canyons and dense cover is what your looking for, and areas with no roads- Like under the Rim in very northern section of 22., It s a sxs paradise with tons of the roads, Thats sound advise. Good Luck, Keep us advised.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts