Arizona Hunting Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I live in 22N, thats going to be one tough hunt for skittish elk. Ive got my spots, but not willing to share to someone I dont know. Find water, steep, nasty canyons and dense cover is what your looking for, and areas with no roads- Like under the Rim in very northern section of 22., It s a sxs paradise with tons of the roads, Thats sound advise. Good Luck, Keep us advised.
Thanks for the advice! I will post updates.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
HAP,
Post often, Become a participating member, I may turn you on to Painters area. In all honesty, Late season bulls about 250 to 280 are TROPHYS on that hunt, the bigger ones are there, but turn NOCTURNAL before that season starts. I know another HAP, hes a saltwater fishing fanatic, The same ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
HAP,
Post often, Become a participating member, I may turn you on to Painters area. In all honesty, Late season bulls about 250 to 280 are TROPHYS on that hunt, the bigger ones are there, but turn NOCTURNAL before that season starts. I know another HAP, hes a saltwater fishing fanatic, The same ?
I like the sound of that! haha

I'd be tickeled pink with a 250-280 bull.

I do like saltwater fishing but that must be a different HAP.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
HAP,
Hey y’all, get a load of this guy!! Lol

·
Registered
707 Posts
I had that hunt last year. I scouted all spring and summer and was seeing bulls every trip I made. I messed up and got complacent about finding back up areas. I hunted 6 out of the 7 days staying out all day. I saw 4 cow elk. There was fresh sign every morning but the elk seemed to be mostly nocturnal. I wish you better luck than I had.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had that hunt last year. I scouted all spring and summer and was seeing bulls every trip I made. I messed up and got complacent about finding back up areas. I hunted 6 out of the 7 days staying out all day. I saw 4 cow elk. There was fresh sign every morning but the elk seemed to be mostly nocturnal. I wish you better luck than I had.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. Was the area you were hunting thick?

·
Super Moderator
2,584 Posts
Welcome to AHF!!!

I'll be hunting rifle bull in Unit 9 the same time as you, but I'll be looking for something with another 100" of bone or so...

Reactions: HAP

·
Registered
707 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. Was the area you were hunting thick?
Yes. Very. The manzanitas are just about impossible to get through. I covered quite a bit of ground but mostly stuck to the thick stuff.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's cause all the Bulls were hanging out behind the berms at Jim Jones

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I saw bulls everyday, but they disappeared about an hour after first light and did not reappear until half an hour before dark. Have to move on them fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I’ve heard there are a lot of lions in 22, is it worth it to buy a tag just in case?

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
Bring extra cloths. The cat's claw will rip you to pieces. Hahaha. It's a different land here. Everything will poke you, sting you or try and kill you. Welcome to Arizona.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts