Unit 23 Bear Hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting Lounge' started by Desert Rat, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Super Mod Mod

My friend Desert Bull and I headed out for a bear hunt today. I was doing a day trip, DB was doing an overnighter.

We got up on the side of a big hill/small mountain, just as the sun started to peek over the mountains to the east. About 6 or so - DB says "There's one". About 500 or 600 yards away is what appears to be a young bear. Had that long-legged lanky look - not the pot-bellied swaggering look. Anyway, between being a youngster, and being so far away, we just watched him until he wandered up into the brush. He startled a couple of deer in his wanderings as well.

[​IMG]

He's over there, somewhere

[​IMG]

Anyway, we went to try another spot. It was foot or horse only, so we parked the quad, and off we went. As we busted through some brush looking for a place to site, I saw a dark object on an opposite hillside. As DB was getting his binos situated, I could tell it was a bear. This one was a little closer,, but still too far (for me) - about 400 yards, and trotting up the hill, more or less. Other than the fact he was bigger than the first guy, we couldn't tell if he was a "big" one. He was a handsome devil, though - a cinnamon.

Up there, somewhere
    [​IMG]

I gotta tell you, this hunt handed me my a$$. I almost ran out of water, and was woefully out of shape. DB is a hunting machine. I opted out of going down to the spring at the bottom of the canyon, and actually headed home a little earlier than planned. Wife started us all on diet and exercise 2 weeks ago, so hopefully next time I'll be better prepared. Regardless, I had a great time, saw some new country, AND saw 2 bears. To be honest, I'm kinda glad I didn'y have to hump some smelly old bear up out of that canyon! I must say, the area was LOADED with sign - big piles of bear crap, literally every 20 ft on the trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sounds like you had a real good day.

3. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Well?

Marshall, Any word on your buddy DB getting his Bear? Any follow up? :D

4. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Super Mod Mod

He was out again this weekend and saw one. but no chance at a shot. Big canyon between he and the bear.