Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Unit 27 phone service

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Robert Gonzalez 
#1 ·
Unit 27 elk tag, trying to find a good spot to camp that has phone service so I can communicate back home while in camp. Hoping to camp on the 58 rd, during scouting trips I've camped the 26 rd but last weekend the only place I had signal was a rinky dink spot that will work for scouting weekend but not elk camp. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
In my experience very little service, if any, in U27. I use ATT, my friends who have Verizon get service in the damnedest of places. But, again, in my experience no service in most places. I use the Garmin InReach to let my wife and kids know that I am back at camp for the night. It is a month to month service, so you can shut it off on months you aren't using it. It has made my wife much happier since getting it as I am often out in the woods by myself.
PS - it also doubles as a gps.
Cheers and hope that helps,
RG

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip, I have Verizon and I had good signal back in May when I went up first,. For some reason this time I had almost none. I'll look into the inreach I think if I spend anymore money on this hunt I won't have a wife to call back to though haha

#8 ·
Yes, Inreach. Zero cell service for miles in some places in 27, or even FM radio signal...depending on where you're hunting. It may have improved since I last hunted whitetails in 27 several years ago, but I left camp to drive home and turned on my radio and drove for what seemed like an hour with the scan function spinning before I picked up a station in NM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.