Upcoming high altitude hunt

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by RickWild, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Training at high elevation is also a good conditioning practice and employed by many Olympic and professional athletes. I’ve prepared for many long hikes and hunts in this manner and can attest that it good to know what you are up against, especially with a weighted pack. Don’t be scared, be prepared!

JimJ likes this.
  2. Headache from altitude is a bummer. Oxygen tank can save you for awhile. Best advise I've heard is get there a few days early if you can.

Buster likes this.

3. Schoom14

Schoom14 Staff Member Mod Premium Member

To not repeat the other suggestions, I’ll add hike/hunt very slow :D

4. Cardio is about the only thing you can do. Then when your done with Cardio do more cardio.

Acclimation is nice but generally unfeasible for most people. Acclimation is really about a 2 week process. Your body will start to naturally increase the red blood cell capacity in your body to accommodate the decreased oxygen availability.

To the Olympic comment. Yes, they train at the same altitude or higher than where the competition is. Generally this is done weeks to months prior.

When the hunt starts. Just take it slow the first couple days. If you feel lightheaded or dizzy you'll need to drop elevation.

JimJ likes this.
    5footshotgroup likes this.
  6. How many commenting actually shoot traditional gear and go to such elevations regularly? I’ve only gotten serious with traditional gear relatively recently, but do know that shooting “feels” different depending on elevation and stump shooting at elevation is the best preparation to actual hunting at said elevation.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    RickWild likes this.
  7. I find the archery challenge more than sufficient shooting a compound. I tip my proverbial hat to traditional archers taking on additional handicaps in terms of equipment. In Colorado I lived at 6300 feet, hunted at elevations typically between 8,000 and 10,500. I didnt notice significant differences in arrow flight between home and the target in camp. I did notice a difference in my ability to hustle up or down a ridge the higher I got, but on a daily basis, we were up and down a few thousand feet fairly often, so it was just part of the game. I found the altitude affected me more when I hiked some of the 14ers, especially once you get above tree line, which typically ran around 11,500 or 12,000. The air is definitely thinner at 14,000. I only got into elk once at tree line, and that stalk was blown when I was surprised by the herd of sheep I crawled into while trying to get close to an isolated pocket of trees this bull was in.

Logan, RickWild, Buster and 2 others like this.
  8. Many archers who site in a bow at relatively low elevations report shooting high when they take their gear up to the higher elevations. I know firsthand that the arrow trajectory off my recurve is a lot different in the Valley (~1080 ft) versus the Apache Forest (~9000 ft). I bought the bow at the beginning of first stay at home order and would shoot it daily preparing for OTC Turkey. Trying to shoot a traditional bow instinctively is a very challenging sport. Probably the most sporting thing I’ve tried.

Anyways, it would make sense that arrows coming off a relatively slow speed traditional style bow would “feel” the effects of the elevation more than a high speed compound. Kind of like why more homeruns are hit at Mile High Stadium or that golfball you hit sails just a little farther up there! Whether it is thin air or low gravity or some combination of the two factors, this effect/s only increases with the increase in elevations. Similarly, I’ve pattern tested shotgun shells in the two locations as well and have noticed steel shot waterfowl loads behave differently as well.

@RickWild sounds like you have an exciting trip in the planning and look forward to hearing more about it!

9. I’m a working man with not enough vacation. That said, not enough time to arrive early and scout. I’ll be there 10 days, probably moving slow and low the first day or 2.
    Going to Flag this weekend is to far from the hunt to help. So no elevation training for me between now and then.
    Definitely taking cans of oxygen and I guess Rolaids, thanks John. Not running now due to work schedule and heat but doing tons of cardio in the back yard. You know, jump in the pool then work out for 20 minutes, repeat.
    I’ve spent time hunting the North rim, at mostly between 8000-8600 and never had any issues. I like to think at 63 years young I’ll be able to handle this, with lots of water. But no alcohol? Ahhhh
    Thanks everyone for your input. My excitement continues to build. And I’ll listen to all of your suggestions.

10. And I never heard about arrows flying different at higher elevations. I can understand shooting long shots in thin air being different, but under 30 yards, my top range? I don’t think I’ll be affected.

Buster likes this.