Varmint around Tucon

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by popcontrol, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Hello im glad to join the ranks. I currently shoot a savage 17hmr with a nikon 9x for varmint.
    I have had poor success as of late at rail-x and in 37 b (willow springs). Maybe I am not traveling deep enough into these areas? I usually start pounding sand 3 miles in or so.

Rabbit seem to respond well to the 10 pace pause method IF I can find them. Maybe I should setup high and glass? Dang ground squirrels allude me when I pound sand. Maybe the other hunters have trained them to flee? I dont expect your honey hole but ANY guidence to this newbie is GREATLY appreciated! Looking for anything squirrel up to coyote and im not picky.
  2. Welcome to the forums. Wish I had advice, but I tend to be central and parts north.

3. Welcome to AHT !! Cant help, I hunt northern 22, 23, and 6a. Ground squirrels are elusive, if you are in an area they are they usually flee. Good Luck
  4. Well thanks for the warm welcome! Hit railx ranch again today and didn't see anything but cows, quail, and songbirds. Really been striking out...
  5. I've been out their many times. Not a lot of cottontail on that side (37a). Cross the road (33) and walk the desert just north of Saddlebrook. There are cottontails there, but more jack rabbits. I usually never leave empty handed there.

Also I'm always successful SE of Tucson. Take I-10 and exit Wentworth road. Head south on Wentworth about a mile and take one of the dirt roads into the western desert. Lots of jacks and cotton tails there. Just make sure you wave hi to me. I'm always out there wearing the bright orange boonie in my profile pic. :)

EDIT: You spoke of ground squirrels. I see them in both my spots above. You should have plenty of opportunity.
  6. Ground squirrels?

(With Red)
    808 likes this.
  7. Thanks for the tip sir! Hopefully I see you round!
  8. Well I'm impressed, you slowed those tunneling sob's down! Less twisted ankels and less snake fodder for rattlers. What time of year did you take them?
  9. It was a couple of years ago in the early fall. Red and I have a couple of spots that are just loaded with them. Midday and sunny they are out without fail.