Waste of our resources.

Discussion in 'Hunting Lounge' started by Green Vinca, Oct 21, 2020.

1. I have lost game too, of the feathered variety, not a cow elk lying in the open. If I stumbled across this critter after crossing 300 yards of blowdowns, fallen burnt snags and miners candles I might feel more sanguine about the "hunter" that shot the elk. Remember it was in the open. JM

Logan likes this.
  2. rk

rk Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

But we have no idea how far that cow ran, possibly leaving no blood trail, before it expired. None of us have any idea at all about the circumstances, so it doesn't seem particularly productive to speculate.

3. i HATE TO SEE UNRETRIEVED ANIMALS, BUT HE IS RIGHT ^^^^^^^^^^

HammerGuy and 5footshotgroup like this.
  4. lynn1130

lynn1130 Staff Member Mod Premium Member

I called in a bull that was shot during antlerless one year. We came on it not too long after someone shot it. We heard the shots. We took a GPS reading, called G&F and since we were returning to camp and it was getting dark we did not stay. I got a call from the game manager shortly after who was going out to the scene. His comment was "we understand mistakes are made and calling and fessing up at the time is going to go a whole lot less hard than waiting for us to track them down".

In this case the shooter may not have even known he hit the elk. We just don't know the circumstances.

5. .......miners candles......

I've never heard that reference. Very, very descriptive - just haven't heard it. :eek:

John McLaughlin and bearfoot1 like this.
  7. I contend if you haven't lost an animal or at the very least had a very tuff track on a wounded animal then you haven't been hunting for very long. The most perfect shot can be completely messed up if an animal lunges, turns, squats etc at the last moment. Especially for bow hunters as the arrow doesn't travel faster than the speed of sound and the animal will often flinch, dart, duck at the sound of your bow. A bullet or arrow can slightly deflect off an unseen branch or a gust of wind can blow a shot several inches off its intended course.

I've personally shot, or shot at many deer with my bow in my life where the animal moved and my hit either completely missed, grazed, or stuck in a nonvital area like the shoulder or the thick fat area along the back.
    On my very first bow hunt as a kid a shot one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen at 10 yards. He lunged at the sound of my bow and instead of double lunging him my arrow stuck in his thick shoulder bone. I recovered the arrow and could see only about 4 inches of penetration. I had what I thought to be a good blood trail for about 300 yards but then the blood got less and less. I spent hours on my hands and knees looking at ever blade of grass for the slightest drop of blood. I managed to follow it for about a mile over a two day period with the enlisted help of multiple local farmers. Finally the farmer spotted my deer alive chasing does around with a limp and a large ugly wound on his shoulder. Did he survive the winter? Who knows.
    The decision to punch your tag or not is neither black not white white and is a very personal decision. I can tell you on this occasion I decided the deer was alive and well so I went back to hunting and eventually shot another smaller buck which was my first.
    On another trip just a few years ago. I shot a doe I was sure was a good hit, Had good blood on the arrow that went through and through. We tracked her blood for 6 hours until a blizzard came in and covered any hope of a further search. We tried to come back in the morning to do a grid search but never did find her. I was sure that she would be dead so on that one I punched my tag.

Arizona has another problem as well with the temperatures. If you are hunting in the 70s or 80s and don't find the animal in a timely manner the meant will spoil and make recovery a mute point.

If you hunt long enough you WILL fail to recover an animal. Its a gut wrench feeling and a shame at the loss of meat but it does happen.

RickWild and bearfoot1 like this.
  8. If nothing else this thread has had each of us reevaluate our ethics in hunting all types of game. I guess I'm a bit fortunate to have never lost a large game animal that I've pulled the trigger on. I'm 73 years old and been hunting small and large game since I was 14, all across the US, Canada and Alaska (Yes I know Alaska is part of the US). I am not a string gun shooter, but my take on archery hunting has been a bit jaded by listening to more than than one such "hunter" proclaiming, usually in a saloon, about his exciting hunt where he arrowed two or even three elk that must have been only lightly injured by his arrows and lost, but hey, those wounds will heal up just fine, and maybe they will? The valiant "hunter" is usually proclaiming his prowess in an 80 decibel voice (a few drinks is a great help for this). There are always a few non hunters in the room who get the story and are really impressed. If it was me, I'd shut my mouth, its not something I'd be proud of. Enough of my running at the mouth. I don't mean to demean any quality archers out there and I know most are. JM

Prettyman likes this.