Went scouting and have some questions

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by Jaybee, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jaybee

Jaybee Guest

Well this is the first year I have put in for anything in AZ and got drawn for general javelina in 24B. I didn't have anything to do today so I thought I would venture out and see if I could find any tracks or poop anywhere. I headed up between queen valley and superior on some of the forest roads. I found tracks and some poop in a nice wash I walked. I didn't see anything living besides hundreds of people out there. I was hoping it is that way b/c of the holiday weekend. I even walked a few miles off the road and still ran into hikers. Either way I just had a few questions. From what I have read Javelina stay reletively in the same area year round is this correct? Also how do you go about scouting them? I found a bunch of helpfull info on the azgf dept. and javelinahunter.com. Don't wany your honey hole I want to do all the leg work but just want to make sure I'm looking for all the right things.

Thanks,

Justin

2. Hey Justin,
    Right now, because of the dry conditions, start checking water sources for tracks. The pigs are traveling a long way to find food, so they may hit water in places you havent thought of.
    I havent hunted 24B in a long time but, a couple of spots where I used to find pigs were Whitlow Dam, the one by Queen Valley. It's very thick and an excellent place for pigs. There are also a couple of dirt tanks between the highway and Queen Valley that would be worth checking.
    Another place I have to describe to you. AS you drive on the hiway going east from Florence Jct, about 2-3 miles there is a gas station that is closed down on the north side of the road. Directly behind it is a dirt tank that used to get pounded by pigs and deer. There used to be the old hiway that came out at Florence Jct. that would take you right to the tank, but dont know if you can get in there anymore. The last time I was there, about 3 years ago, I parked in back of the gas station.
    Hope this helps,
    Garth

3. Jaybee

Jaybee Guest

Ya it was hard for me to tell if some of the tracks were from javelina b/c of the sandy washes. I do know that I found some crap though. I haven't seen any water holes out there yet. Is there a map that I can purchase that would show me where some of the holes are? I will probably be up in the area the next few weekends. I will have to check out some of those spots. I was in a nice deep draw that with lots of thick cover. I will probably do a bit more scouting up there and elsewhere.

4. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Jaybee, they do sell a book of all the water holes and catchments in AZ. You should be able to get it at the AZ G&F. I saw it at the Sportsman's Warehouse also. I forget the price. I use Google Earth. It has a free version you download and that will show the water Tanks. Not sure if all are listed, but the ones I checked out were there.

5. Jaybee

Jaybee Guest

Ya I have used google earth before too. I will look for that book I'm headed to sportsman's sometime this week.