West Tx. Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Predators & Furbearers' started by TXJavi, Dec 30, 2006.

1. TXJavi

TXJavi Guest

[​IMG]

This Lion was killed 2 years ago, on my lease in Terrell County, the Trans-Pecos area of Texas. He was shot by my lease partner, on a morning deer hunt. This cat was chasing a jackrabbit, which was headed to the feeder. He made for easy pickens. Beautiful cat though. I think one of the more beautiful cats in the wild. Hope you guys enjoy. Roy

2. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

TXJavi, Nice photo. That cat looks huge!

Can you tell me how a Lease works? I have heard about them, but don't understand what and how you go about doing it. Any prices? roughly?

3. TXJavi

TXJavi Guest

TallPaul, Here in Tx most all land is private, I am sure you know that, by now. Different options on how to lease land. It is either by the acre, or per gun basis. West Tx has a little of both. Every lease I have been on has been by the gun. Another words, if the landowner is leasing a plot of land, he might ask$1,500.00 per gun, per person. The guy I leased from where this cat was taken, does it rather nice. He firmly believes that a section of ranch land(section=640 acres) should have no more then 2 people on it. Ours was prime because he only put 4 of us on 5 sections. We had plenty of room to move around. Other areas charge you by the acre. This can range from 6 dollars to 18 dollars per acre, and higher. For over 8 dollars, there dang better be some good deer ect. South Tx is notorious for high end leases, then again they do produce record racks. The thing I see now in Texas, is that the entire state is now gaining in good racks, to go against South Tx, Better deer management and more conservative hunters are responsible for this. Lease can be just for deer season only, or can go as far as yearly lease. This means one can come and go as they wish through ou the year. the deer only is for deer season only, of course. There are usually provisons on what a person may harvest, set by the land owner. The norm in my area for a deer season only lease is about $1,800.00 per gun. There are numerous provisions dictated by the owner, no 2 are ever the same. If you ever get the itch to come hunt West Texas, give me a call. I am a guide on a 36,000 acre Ranch. We just now started booking Javelina and Spring Turkey hunts on this ranch. Here are a couple of deer, a Mule deer and a whitetail from this years hunts, along with a Javi from this year. If you need any other info on Texas, just ask I will tell you what I know. Roy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Thanks Roy, I didn't know any of that info. I have only hunted two states so far - Pa. and Az. I know alot of people go out of state to hunt but I don't. ( I am Cheap :lol: ) I am glad you give us this info, it may give others insight on out of state hunting. If I ever make to Texas you are the guy I'll be looking up. ( I don't think I'll be going out of State hunting any time some. I need to get my big game in this state before look else where.... I stink at Hunting :mrgreen: )

I forgot ... Nice Pictures.

5. Thats a good looking cat. Not bad at all. Congrats to the hunter.

Boy I dont know if I could handle having to pay to hunt land. Although its getting that way out here. its still nowhere that bad. Thats got to suck pretty bad. Nice deer also by the way.