Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, I love my son and I don't want to sell him. But sitka, kuiu, krypteck and badlands all said I need to sell him to get wet weather gear. Seriously, I talked to representatives and they said, "sell your first born and you should be able to stay dry this next hunting season".

Head down, I turn to you guys to see if you have better options. I bought some RedHead "wet weather" gear a few years ago and I cringe at the thought of wearing it ever again. They got this horrible felt, cotton or whatever liner in the pants that come out with your boot and the jacket is like wearing a blanket. Sadly, I have a physical problem with clothing. I am 6'2" with long arms and legs (teeeeny body, lol jk).

Typically, a guy with my measurements needs to buy tall clothing. But unfortunately, cheaper brands rarely accommodate beyond a 34" inseam or a 52" shoulders and 26" arms.

I think I need to face it and just go embrace sogginess, wear those god awful RedHeads or sell my kid. Unless.... maybe you have a better idea. Now, I am going on a late elk rifle hunt this year (still not sure about deer). So chances are that I don't need the quietest of gear, or silver lined scent lox. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have that, but maybe, just maybe... you know of something that fits my bill. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Super Moderator
4,264 Posts
Reactions: azelkhntr

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like ponchos for those times when you're stationary. I always reached for the poncho when I was in the military. Unfortunately, they don't seem to fare very well in times when you're hiking in brush or when it's windy out, which is usually the case when you dawn the rain gear.

That said, I think ponchos rock lol!

I did just come across this guy: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939192329/midwayusa-mens-cold-bay-rain-jacket

Anybody have experience with this jacket? It seems to have good reviews and it comes in tall sizes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I keep a poncho in my pack always, got it at sportsmen's a while back.....never used it. With that said I'm partial to the Columbia line of outdoors gear, I shop for weather/winter stuff in the summer online. You will see items discounted deep cause of new models coming out etc or discontinued. I found a pair of wool bibs for $75 a few years back and I swear by them when it's cold. Got a couple of weather proof jackets and hats too, warm and dry. FYI I'm the frugal hunter, broke with an expensive passion.

AZB

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
I got a pair of insulated bibs from King Outdoors, I wear them in tree stand for late elk hunts, Otherwise they are so warm they will cook you right out of them. Plus theres a disadvantage to wearing bibs, When you got to Do a #2, you got to peel them off basically to do that. But they are warm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I went years and years without good rain gear, and simply relied on military ponchos.

Our annual precipitation is low enough (even in the high country) it is not typical to have days and days of rain.

I would typically just embrace the suck and get wet if it was an afternoon of light rain or grab the ponch and set up a rain shelter in one of my honey holes where I have a debris blind set up.

·
Super Moderator
4,264 Posts
I have not found the poncho to be a problem in forest hunting and moving around but then I do a lot of "still hunting" so I am not moving fast and trying to cover a lot of ground. This one is very quiet. The nice thing about ponchos is, with our, on again off again weather I can stow it and still have it available when it starts raining or snowing again.

Reactions: Eric Haltom

·
Super Moderator
14,853 Posts
I just "BEAR" it so to say, starts to rain hard, will get under tree, till it starts to lightning, then Ill go find a low Juniper to get under.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts