Arizona Hunting Forums banner

What eCallers are you guys using?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Azn8v 
#1 ·
I just ordered a Primos Alpha Dog since the price looks like it came down a bit. I have been using a foxpro spitfire (?) with little success. I was thinking they have heard all of those old sounds so much they know to turn the other way.

What are you guys running? Pros/cons, reviews, success stories?

#2 ·
Before I put too much into new callers, I'd look at your setup. 1000's of dogs have been called up using an old record player, cassette tape players, etc. many more are shot using mouth calls. Or no call at all.

The first thing you need to know, is there any coyotes in the area? If the answer is yes, then what are you doing to tip them off?

My own story is I grew up in farmland. I was so used to seeing them that I could predict where they would be most days. The only secret to hunting them [ That I learned there] was to be where they were going before they got there. And be still as they approach.

Now as an adult I don't have the time to watch the wildlife as closely. So I now need to attract them to me. But I also have to be quiet, and still.

The caller, the rifle, and caliber I choose have far less to do with success Than if I choose a good stand, get into it quietly and can be still while I'm waiting.

Don't get me wrong, Choosing the right rifle and caller are all part of the fun. But they are only a small part of success!
Good Luck DR

#3 ·
For an electronic call, I have an old FoxPro FX3 that still serves the purpose. There will always be new generations of coyotes that have not heard your sounds before. I don't think the sounds are all that important anyway, I have even called a coyote with one of those cheesy E.L.K. Cow Talk mouth calls.

#4 ·
Good points, I guess I am just getting frustrated hunting places that get over called / over hunted. I am looking at places further out of town now and am starting scouting this weekend. I have seen coyotes every where I hunt but am never after them at that time. I was looking more into this Alpha Dogg caller and really like the "Expert Hunts" selection, they are sequences of calls recorded by and choreographed by primo's pro staffer guy. I know I could do these my self but I like the idea of having a preset time length per stand to keep me in the seat with out my mind wondering or doubting my self.

I will update as I use the caller more in the future. Might have a foxpro for sale soon...

thanks guys.

Reactions: rk
#5 ·
One of my favorite places for a quick hunt that's close to my home, puts me in the "Greenbelt area" between a cattle ranch and a housing subdivision. the attraction is that there are lots of coyotes, that are relatively used to people.

just remember, an urban coyote's dinner bell sounds different than coyote that survives on rodents. Not that the basic sounds don't apply, It's just that if I'm used to eating dog food from dishes left out for pets... Why waste time on something I have to catch? But now along comes a tasty kitten.... Good Luck DR

#6 ·
Well, I'm new to coyote hunting, new to this group, but eager to learn. I think I made a mistake. Went on to Amazon and read through many reviews on callers and ended up getting an iHunt. I liked the idea that it had so many different calls and that it was relatively inexpensive for what I appeared to be getting. I got it all set up, tested it and it worked find, but it seems to have very low volume. Any comments/thoughts regarding iHunt. I appreciate and comments, good, bad or indifferent.

#9 ·
Welcome, feel free introduce your self in a new thread (if you haven't already).

I am not good at coyote hunting.... yet. What I have picked up, volume and sound selection isnt the only factors. I wont go into them all in this thread but there is a lot of info on here about calling. The more volume the further out it reaches but will distort the sound a bit, the further away the less distortion is heard though. If it reaches further, in theory, you have more chance for ears to pick up the noise. If that is the case, I dont know... makes sense to me though.

With your call in particular I would focus on prey distress sounds and have a hand call for howls and barks. You want to aim for creating a scene for them to come check out, more or less.

This new caller I got, Primos alpha dogg, is Fing LOUD!!! great for big area but the distortion is noticeable. Great for howls and other vocalizations, I have gotten coyotes yelling back at me with it at least once each time I have been out. I am looking forward to using this one more. My foxpro didn't get me this type of reaction but thats probably user error.

#12 ·
I have the fox pro hammer jack. I just got it this past Xmas (12/25/18) and started using New Year’s Day. I highly recommend and love it. Before I had the fox pro model CS24C which I’ve had for about 8 years and last October it stopped workimg on me. I was looking into getting a primos e caller but Santa delivered a fox pro (beggars can’t be choosers). Again I highly recommend. I’ve dispatched dozens over the years using the AR 15 platform. I like the Hornady vmax 55gr due to minimual pelt damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.