Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried posting this subject on other forums before and I received very little input and responses. :(

If you would, please share and discuss the one thing in specific that you've done, which greatly improved you as an archery hunter/shooter.

It could be about anything... from learning to service and tune your own bow hunting equipment, setting personal rules and boundaries, learning spot and stalk techniques, using different camo and scent cover, to changing your shooting form, sights, releases, fletchings, etc.

I think we're all given the same basic instinctive skills, but certainly there's things that have made a profound difference in your skill level and shooting/hunting ability. I come here to learn and share. So, let's hear what you feel has made you a better archer/hunter.

·
Registered
969 Posts
For me I think it has been the fact of becoming a bowhunter in itself. To kill an animal as a bowhunter, you have to be close. To get close to an animal, you have to defeat all of his senses.
Different species depend on different senses at different times. But, it seems the primary sense for all animals initially is eyesight. The closer you approach an animal, the senses start to compound, hearing and smell are hard to beat.
You can be given away by a change in wind direction or a small twig that you didnt see under yer foot.
If and only if you can beat every sense the quarry has, you are close enough fer a shot, then yer hours of practice come to play with only 1 shot and, the odds are against that 1 shot making it into the vitals for a kill.
A twig can be in the way of the arrow for a deflection, the animal can jump the string or, you can simply get buck fever and not pick a spot for the arrow to hit.
Being a successful bowhunter requires patience, practice, and a will to accomplish something that is against you.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have taken my sweet time to learn every thing that i can about archery hunting that i can and so far all i can say that i have taken is rabbits with my bow. I 100% think Garth is right in his post i think he says it all really in archery you have to get close to the animals etc i love archery and if i can help it would not want to go back to hunting with a gun lol. so boys you better :runforhills: j/k you had to be at one of the 3-D shoots to know what i am talking about but its a standing bear me and two friennd (guys) after i shot (33 yards they crossed there legs) LMAO

·
951 Posts
Well I ahve my bow set where i am comfortable with it..practicing and hunting it is the same I do not change the poundage..53# good enough for the nuge good enough for me

I also stick with shots I am comfortable with...

Practice COLD shots take a shot then try sitting in a chair for 3 hours and take that 1 all important shot
pratice sitting down
take shot standing on a milk crate
take shots through obstructions like windows
My shooting gets real good when dutchmanaz bets me LOL..what would be even funnier if i could do that again
Oh and dutchmans wife she is pretty good also

But sit up high aim down

but cold shots are the most unpracticed ones when your hunting your not shooting arrow after arrow your in some areas sitting for hours
or here your stalking carrying around your bow
practice on your knees also or leaning over or to the side like aiming around a tree

I do not practice alot but those are the shots i will practice on when i do

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hey Knine!...you were'nt supposed to bring that up again! :) That was one heck of a shot!

Admittedly, I have a long ways to go. I went out last year and was into deer (BIG DEER) but I couldn't keep the wind in my face. It seemed to change every few seconds or so. I did get within about 40 yards of a herd with a couple of nice bucks in it, but had no shot (my limit is currently 25 - 30 yards max). The wind shifted and they were gone. I saw a flock of turkeys on the trip prior to this one, so I bought a turkey tag...Never saw a bird once I was legal. Live and learn, I guess.

I must say I enjoyed it and hope to get out again. I'm looking forward to hear your input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Learning to be completely at home and relaxed in the woods. Learning to move slowly and fluidly useing the existing cover to every advantage. Never hurrying. If I look like I belong there nothing notices me until it's too late. I shoot constantly too. Nothing is safe out to 40 yards. I don't own a rangefinder. In 40 years I've learned to estimate distance.
Mark

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Still working on it......

My biggest fault is speed. I start off slow but eventually the old Marine Corp force march mentality comes out and away I go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would have to say the biggest help to my hunting success is when I finally figured out how important glassing and patience is. I really started seeing more animals when I began sitting and using the binos. The other thing that really helped was a range finder. I started using for both archery and rifle, and reallized very quickly why I was missing shots that I thought I should be making. Unless you are really good at guessing distance (which I am not) a range finder in my opinion is vital, 2nd only to your weapon of choice in importance.

Ron

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a business teacher way back when that used to say, "the only place that success comes before work is in the dictionary." He probably didn't coin that term, but he's the one I heard it from.

At anyrate, I think that applies to bowhunting more so than any other form of hunting. In spite of the wide spread use of rangefinders & flat shooting, high energy bows, it's still an extremely close range game that we play. I hit my javelina this year at 8 yards. The only way to be successful at that type of challenge is to be both patient and persistent, but unfortunately, to be either of those things you have to put in some hard work leading up to season & you have to be able to give yourself some time. The most successful bowhunters I know are the ones who don't just go bowhunting, but the ones who live it. They shed hunt, they hike, they shoot all year long, they scout every single week, just by being out in the woods doing those other things. I've personally put more time in the woods these last two years than I did in the ten before that & have enjoyed a lot more close encounters & more success than I ever have before. I've also noticed that I'm more patient & confident, just because I know that if I blow it today, I'll get another chance tomorrow. I've taken the time when I never did before. I drew my first elk tag this year, & even though season is still 4 months away, my employers already know that they're not going to see me until I tag out or it closes. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
A well tuned bow, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Oh and Practice. And a little patience.

·
Registered
588 Posts
ok here is one for you all never ever change the draw weight on someones bow and not tell them. thinking they will just pick it up like they did a few days ago and shoot like noithing was changed on it and cant pull it back very good and punches the release and has an arrow hits the wall and not the target and scares the CHIT out of the shooter to where the shooter packed up there bow for the afternoon. :frusty: :frusty:

·
Registered
66 Posts
practice and more practice. I think league has helped tremendously because you have to concentrate and work on your tecqnique. I think it makes you a better shooter.

·
Registered
588 Posts
*cough* yes *cough* :frusty: :frusty: mad me mad AZSlim to the point were its like i'm going to padlock my bow case :lol2: and the next time ANYONE messes with my bow :smack2: :smack2: :smack2:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have always been the type of hunter who gets so excited before a hunt, that I can't sleep the night before the opener and have actual pictures of huge animals running thru my head while TRYING to get to sleep. I tell them to go away until the am, but those dirty buggers just don't listen!
I have learned that to just enjoy being out there and to stop berating myself on blown stalks, shots, etc. I now calmly think over what can be learned and reflect on the awesomness of having had the opportunity for that blown stalk, shot, etc. (of course this is after 5 minutes of serious swearing!) :)
Seriously though, it is more about being out there and having fun than it is about the kill. I have always previously been about the kill. If I didn't get one, I was upset. Not anymore...(well, after 5 minutes of serious swearing that is!) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts