What's made you a better archer/hunter?

Discussion in 'Archers Lodge' started by AZ~ThunderDan, May 6, 2007.

1. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

I've tried posting this subject on other forums before and I received very little input and responses. :(

If you would, please share and discuss the one thing in specific that you've done, which greatly improved you as an archery hunter/shooter.

It could be about anything... from learning to service and tune your own bow hunting equipment, setting personal rules and boundaries, learning spot and stalk techniques, using different camo and scent cover, to changing your shooting form, sights, releases, fletchings, etc.

I think we're all given the same basic instinctive skills, but certainly there's things that have made a profound difference in your skill level and shooting/hunting ability. I come here to learn and share. So, let's hear what you feel has made you a better archer/hunter.

2. For me I think it has been the fact of becoming a bowhunter in itself. To kill an animal as a bowhunter, you have to be close. To get close to an animal, you have to defeat all of his senses.
    Different species depend on different senses at different times. But, it seems the primary sense for all animals initially is eyesight. The closer you approach an animal, the senses start to compound, hearing and smell are hard to beat.
    You can be given away by a change in wind direction or a small twig that you didnt see under yer foot.
    If and only if you can beat every sense the quarry has, you are close enough fer a shot, then yer hours of practice come to play with only 1 shot and, the odds are against that 1 shot making it into the vitals for a kill.
    A twig can be in the way of the arrow for a deflection, the animal can jump the string or, you can simply get buck fever and not pick a spot for the arrow to hit.
    Being a successful bowhunter requires patience, practice, and a will to accomplish something that is against you.

3. I have taken my sweet time to learn every thing that i can about archery hunting that i can and so far all i can say that i have taken is rabbits with my bow. I 100% think Garth is right in his post i think he says it all really in archery you have to get close to the animals etc i love archery and if i can help it would not want to go back to hunting with a gun lol. so boys you better :runforhills: j/k you had to be at one of the 3-D shoots to know what i am talking about but its a standing bear me and two friennd (guys) after i shot (33 yards they crossed there legs) LMAO

4. Well I ahve my bow set where i am comfortable with it..practicing and hunting it is the same I do not change the poundage..53# good enough for the nuge good enough for me

I also stick with shots I am comfortable with...

Practice COLD shots take a shot then try sitting in a chair for 3 hours and take that 1 all important shot
    pratice sitting down
    take shot standing on a milk crate
    take shots through obstructions like windows
    My shooting gets real good when dutchmanaz bets me LOL..what would be even funnier if i could do that again
    Oh and dutchmans wife she is pretty good also

But sit up high aim down

but cold shots are the most unpracticed ones when your hunting your not shooting arrow after arrow your in some areas sitting for hours
    or here your stalking carrying around your bow
    practice on your knees also or leaning over or to the side like aiming around a tree

I do not practice alot but those are the shots i will practice on when i do

5. Hey Knine!...you were'nt supposed to bring that up again! :) That was one heck of a shot!

Admittedly, I have a long ways to go. I went out last year and was into deer (BIG DEER) but I couldn't keep the wind in my face. It seemed to change every few seconds or so. I did get within about 40 yards of a herd with a couple of nice bucks in it, but had no shot (my limit is currently 25 - 30 yards max). The wind shifted and they were gone. I saw a flock of turkeys on the trip prior to this one, so I bought a turkey tag...Never saw a bird once I was legal. Live and learn, I guess.

I must say I enjoyed it and hope to get out again. I'm looking forward to hear your input.

6. Learning to be completely at home and relaxed in the woods. Learning to move slowly and fluidly useing the existing cover to every advantage. Never hurrying. If I look like I belong there nothing notices me until it's too late. I shoot constantly too. Nothing is safe out to 40 yards. I don't own a rangefinder. In 40 years I've learned to estimate distance.
    Mark

7. Still working on it......

My biggest fault is speed. I start off slow but eventually the old Marine Corp force march mentality comes out and away I go.

8. I've spent an inappropriate amount of time in the woods, hunting and just observing.
    Mark

9. I would have to say the biggest help to my hunting success is when I finally figured out how important glassing and patience is. I really started seeing more animals when I began sitting and using the binos. The other thing that really helped was a range finder. I started using for both archery and rifle, and reallized very quickly why I was missing shots that I thought I should be making. Unless you are really good at guessing distance (which I am not) a range finder in my opinion is vital, 2nd only to your weapon of choice in importance.

Ron

10. Friz95

Friz95 Guest

Patience............................