Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone knew of a local gunsmith who cuts shotgun barrels and installs choke tubes. Possibly looking at having a 30” wingmaster barrel cut to 28” and having a remchoke installed. Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Lawson's in Tucson can do it , as long as the barrel is thick enough.
Not all shotgun barrels are thick enough to be threaded.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
As I understand, you won't be able to have remchokes installed on the old wingmasters because there isn't enough barrel thickness. Best bet would be to send it to Briley's for thinwalls, they are the best in the business!

I have yet to find anyone in the valley that I would trust working on my smoothbores.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks, I will check out Brileys. It is a lefty barrel, otherwise I would just find another barrel.
You got a lefty 870!? I’ve been trying to grab one for the longest time. I do have one in 20 gauge as well as a LH 1100 12g, but for some reason a LH wingmaster in 12 has eluded me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got a lefty 870!? I’ve been trying to grab one for the longest time. I do have one in 20 gauge as well as a LH 1100 12g, but for some reason a LH wingmaster in 12 has eluded me.
The 20ga is the hard one for sure. I have an 1100 as well in 12ga. The 20’s are super pricey. I have a montefeltro lefty as my normal hunting 12ga. I wish someone made a nice 20ga lefty gas gun. I can’t seem to warm up to Benelli’s M2 in black synthetic.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I finally broke down and ordered a 20g M2 back in January which I’m still waiting to receive. Maybe not the prettiest of guns, but they are supposed to be killers and at around 6 lbs they actually handle like a 20 gauge. My 870 20 weighs well over 7 lbs.

But yes, not enough LH options in the sub gauge market.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well, thanks to Terry the barrel and gun in question now have a new owner. I’ve been wanting to get a 12g LH wingmaster to match with my 20g for some time. I’ve passed on several at auction, but now one has made an honest man out of me. Love the vintage 870s and being a lefty version is an obvious bonus. I think I’ll leave the barrel as is and try to find an extra barrel, but they are difficult to find in LH in anything other than 30” FC. Oddly, extra LH barrels are easier to find in 20g, but to find a 20g 870 gun in LH is almost a unicorn!

Thanks again Terry!

Reactions: Codlew
1 - 11 of 11 Posts