Who is in?

Discussion in 'Big Game' started by TallPaul, Jun 29, 2006.

1. TallPaul

TallPaul Guest

Any one put in this year for Mule Deer in AZ? I am in for general Unit 5A,6A,21 and 23.

2. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod

I applied for muzzy as my 1st choice in the desert units of 39, 40,41 and 42. Then Units 9, 5A/B, 27, and 4A/B in the general hunts. TallPaul, if you draw a unit 5 tag, I can share some honey-hole secrets. I took a dandy buck there in 2002 and normally apply - hunt units 5A/B as my first choice. Good luck.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Super Mod Mod

I'm hoping creed and AzT will help show me how to hunt these desert mulies.... :D

4. AZ~ThunderDan

I'm just hoping to be in "bow shape" to hunt the rut this year. Desert Rat, I am still learning about the desert muleys myself. If we could both just convince Creed to retire...

5. Retirement is certainly something I'm heavily considering right now. I have several options on the table and don't have a clue as to what to do. If my dad wants to farm another year I'll go ahead and work. If he hangs it up?????

If I retired at my young age that would mean I'd just have to hunt more or start a guide/outfitter service. I've wondered if there would be any kind of demand for archery hunts during the rut for desert muleys.

Dan, why'd you waste a choice and apply for unit 9? Everybody knows there are no deer in the unit. :)

6. AZ~ThunderDan

I heard a rumor there was one buck in Unit 9. I am to find him. Either that, or tree some bobcats.

Advice: retire and start guiding. :mrgreen:

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Super Mod Mod

Yeah- You can practice on Dan and I. We'll act like real honest to goodness dudes. :D

8. A little advise about retirement and guiding. I retired (the first time) in 1984, took some time off and then started a gun store, one thing led to another and we started outfitting and guiding. Big mistake - you do all the work and the client has all the fun, also keep in mind that dogs and horses need to be fed year round, not just hunting seasons, leather must be maintained and tents and stuff stored properly. Insurance cost are getting higher and higher with each passing year and I believe now you are required to buy permits for guiding on federal land. Then there is the clients, what can you say. Maybe I already said enough about clients. Sold all my gear and the shop and retired - again. Got bored got another job in the electrical business, stayed with that until last Oct and then retired still again. Enjoying retirement a little more this time around.

9. I couldn't just flat out retire. I'd go bonkers. Semi-retirement would mean working 1500-2000 hours a year. I have the opportunity to turn my farm ground over to a neighbor and work for him from Feb. through Aug as a chemical applicator. The rest of the year would be mine. It's tempting but I don't know if I'll do it.

As to guiding....I'm not a people person so that is probably out too. I already have the animals and equipment but probably wouldn't want to put up with the hassles of dealing with others. Another problem would be it would take from my own hunting time.

10. AZ~ThunderDan

Creed, when you do semi-retire, you could also contribute a monthly article on hunting desert mulies over on the blog side. In fact, you could do it now if you made your mind up. I'm sure Desert Rat wouldn't mind at all, plus, he's a seasoned writer and could help edit your contributions.

You're a walking encyclopedia of knowledge on desert mule deer hunting. And please, don't even try to deny it. We're not looking for your honey-holes, we just thirst for your knowledge. Whatta'ya say Creed?

P.S.: OK, I'll admit it, I do want one honey-hole... :roll: