Why hunt tree squirrels?

Discussion in 'Bird Dogs, Upland, Migratory & Waterfowl' started by Justin, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Justin

Justin Guest

Why hunt tree squirrels? For those who have not yet been caught in the lip by the thrill of chasing a tree squirrel through the forest, this is for you.

Tree squirrel hunting can be a very fun, low-pressure, hunting getaway. It is yet another excuse to devote an entire autumn weekend to being in the woods with other outdoor enthusiasts, around a camp fire, eating good food, drinking good beer, and having a great time. On top of that, squirrels make for good eating.

Only just five years ago did I become an avid squirrel hunter. I was introduced to this small sport by a very good friend and his father. Originally they had become squirrel enthusiasts by using the season as an excuse to scout for big-game animals in the proceeding months. So every year we, along with a few others that too have been hooked, gather for the opening weekend of squirrel season, in the vicinity of Williams and Flagstaff. We always bring with us good cuts of meat (ribs, steaks, pork chops, etc) and veggies to fill our aching stomachs after long days of hunting and exploring. This year my good friend will also be bringing with him some of his home brews, as he is getting good at that sport as well (no crap beer squirrel hunting). A trailer or two of ours (I dont have one) usually ensures we have a prime camping spot to stay at each visit. As you can tell, many other factors contribute to a great squirrel hunt.

There are two ways to hunt squirrels: drive around on the forest roads, or walk around the forest and/or roads. Driving around affords one the opportunity to cover a lot of area, while seeing an abundance of squirrels, while walking allows for a very quiet and spiritual experience. Once a squirrel is located, however, it's time for the body to put in some serious work (chasing, glassing, sniping). In another post I shall give details as to how to hunt these delicate little creatures.

At the end of a squirrel hunting weekend, we typically have a good amount of squirrels for the crockpot, and memories that stay with us for the rest of our lives. Can you really put a price tag on good memories?

2. AZ~ThunderDan

AZ~ThunderDan Site Administrator Staff Member Super Mod Mod Premium Member

Wow, great way to introduce yourself to the forum, Justin. You arrived here as our 50th member too!

:welcome: and hope to see you stopping by often. We'll look forward to reading your detailed hunting tactics.

3. Chief

Chief Guest

:welcome: Justin and a great post. It's been a long time since I hunted tree squirrels but after such an enthusiastic post I may have to start again. Looking forward to your next post and you are absolutely correct - you can't put a price tag on good memories.

4. Friz95

Friz95 Guest

:welcome: Nice article Justin. I haven't really hunted squirrels since I moved to Arizona 25 years ago, but I cut my teeth hunting the fox and gray squirrels back home. I guess maybe I need to get back to my roots and do some squirrel hunting this fall. It's also a good reason to take my grandson up north for the weekend.

5. ifishbaja

ifishbaja New Member

You are 100% correct Justin, you described our squirrel hunts to a tee. Our excuse ist to hunt squirrels, but it is mainly to get away from home and relax.

Whenever I bring newbies, they are instructed to bring the track shoes instead of boots. This year, a buddy brought his lab. It only took once and the dog figured out the game. It is amazing how much faster a squirrel will tree when an 80 pound dog is on their heels as opposed to a 275 lb huffing and puffing old man!

Doug Gordon

7. Justin,
    i have never hunted or eaten a squirrel, hope to this year. this may sound very novice but are you using shotgun, 22 or bow? Many thanks.

8. My grand parents were tree squirrel hunters. My grandmother used a shotgun and moved tree to tree picking them off as they moved. My grand father was a stump sitter. He would find a good area with lots of cuttings and sit down with a dime novel. He would pick them off with a small cal rifle as they showed themselves. Then they would argue about who's method was better! Best I can tell either method works if done well!

What I hunt most here in Central CA is Ground Squirrels. They are thick here and I can usually get 15 or more a day, But they have an open season So no squirrel camps. and they carry so many diseases that I wouldn't even try eating one.

I'm going to try and make it over there in Sept So may make this hunt! DR

9. DR, you will be welcomed, its cooler that time of year, last year I think we found one tick on one squirrel, after it was skinned no more tick. Rather eat tree rats then desert bunnies. Ill find an area with squirrels and a spot close by, and park it until they go runnin on the ground, then its game on, it all depends, sometimes Ill chase them from tree to tree, depends on how much huffing and puffing I want to do.

10. Oh, I have no problem eating tree squirrels! And I'm not much for chasing them! They are definitely faster than I am. DR