Wing shooting

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by Pogybait, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Sounds good Steve. By-the-way, you won't need the cat.

2. Steve, Whats a Laser Thingy, HAHA, LOL....

3. Here's two of the most popular ones image.png image.png G

4. I've shot those laser setups, they're pretty cool. A trick i learned when I was shooting A LOT was that a mini maglight will fit in the muzzle of a 12ga (not with a full choke). What I would to is turn the barrel of the flashlight until you get a tight beam, then put it in the muzzle of one of my scatter guns and focus on a point, usually a corner where 2 walls and the ceiling meet, then while focused on the corner, mount your gun, and keep raising and lowering it from your shoulder until you can hit that corner every time, then when you can do that (it doesn't take long), start to do it while moving, so I would choose one wall from that same corner, and picture a bird flying along that seam, so starting at your original corner, mount the gun while moving to follow that seam, when you mount your gun, the light should follow that seam and already be in a side to side motion by the time that stock hits your shoulder. That's a quick and easy drill you can do at home before hitting the range.

Trap is a good game for shooting, but I much prefer skeet over trap, and either 5 stand or sporting clays over skeet. Trap can be great for anticipating rising and falling with not much side to side motion, but in skeet (and much much more so in the other 2 games) you need to learn how to lead for a wider variety of shots, more like in a real hunting scenario.

As for the actual leading, its very very important. I know sometimes it doesn't make a ton of sense, but it's a critical part of the shot process. There's 2 schools of thought with lead, I was taught the "catch up" method by my dad, which is also known as "Butt Belly Beak Bang" but I found that I personally prefer to have the bead already out front of the bird when the stock hits my shoulder, so I may adjust my lead from time to time, but I've shot enough stuff (clay and feather alike) that my muscle memory will just take over and I'll be pretty dang close when I touch'er off

5. Couliewalker,

Painting seems like a good suggestion but I like pulling the trigger harder too. Ha! I think I have my brain wrapped around this, finally. Thanks.

6. Bearfoot, As I said in when I posted this thread, I am a better than average jump shooter. I think my success is because I don't think about it very long. The bird breaks cover and there isn't much time. I agree with you about the less you think about it, accuracy improves.

Many years ago, while on a dove hunt east of Denver, other hunters went to the house for beer or coffee or whatever about mid-morning because the birds weren't flying well; they flew well in the morning at sun up. I walked the sunflower field during mid-day and busted a bunch of jumpers. This many birds on this hunt for my dove hunting experience in Colorado was a rarity. By the way, I quit hunting doves in Colorado a long time ago because well, Colorado just ain't Arizona when it comes to dove hunting, nuff said about that.

I've been trying to wrap my brain around this leading thing. At times, it makes perfect sense but when I think about it too long, I lose my grip on it. Below is what Lynn1130 wrote. What he writes makes sense but look at it this way. If I pull up from behind a bird, take the proper lead then pull the trigger, what difference does it make if I stop after the shot leaves the barrel? If I have the proper lead, the bird should fall.

I think what Lynn and others are saying is, follow through helps you create good shooting habits.

Think about this. When you pull the trigger the shot still has to make the distance between you and the bird. If you stop, the bird is still going and you are not. You shoot behind the bird. From the time you pull the trigger until the shot leaves the end of the barrel could be a second or more. That is a good distance for the bird at 35 mph. The shot then has to travel from the end of the barrel to the bird, and the bird is still doing 35 mph.

7. Pogybait....but what about the beer in the morning? You lost me with this hunting of birds after the fact--where did they go? Especially that early? ;-)

8. I agree, If you stop your swing after you pull trigger, you should have a bird falling. Like golf, you listen to them on TV about form and how far the swing was, but really after you hit the ball it should make no difference how far you swing it, Am I right or wrong.

9. As a former golfer and current baseball coach, follow through matters in all swinging sports. Improper follow through affects the shot wether its golf baseball tennis hockey etc. If the path is altered or stopped after impact the trajectory or reaction to impact will be affected. In golf if you don't "finish" the swing properly the ball could fade or draw less dramatically. In baseball you don't follow through and the ball won't travel with the proper speed and accuracy. Even with bowling if you don't follow through and finish the ball won't spin or go in the right direction.

Same for shooting IMHO. You shoot and stop with no follow through you'll be watching that bird fly away.