Arizona Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out early last Saturday morning. Couldn't get Friday off. Parked the Jeep off the road and started walking. Went about a mile west (didn't want to walk facing the sun). Stopped along a small rideline to glass the flats and spotted a 3x3 looking at us about 50 yards away. It started walking off and stopped along the opposite ridge to look back at us. It gave me a nice 100 yard broadside shot. I know I should have taken my time and shot from the kneeling or seated postion. That's how I've been practicing, but I was pretty excited so I took an offhand shot and he fell right there.
Field dressed it,dragged back to the Jeep and a short trip back to town for skinning and cutting.
Definitely not a trophy buck, but a nice 3x3 without eye guards, but a lot of meat and fat on his body.
I'll post pix depending on how they turn out. I wasn't the photographer, so I can't vouch for the quality of the results :)
I heard the spring draw results are out, so maybe I'll be in the same area for javelina if I get lucky. I've already seen some heards in this area while scouting for mulies.

Unit 33, west side of Santa Catalinas, Winchester M70 Simmons 3-9x40 Wal-mart combo, .30-06, 150 gr Remington Express Core-Lokt, and one brother-in-law to help drag :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congrats on a successful hunt. Post the pictures so us non tag drawing wannabes can have something to look forward to. :beer:

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Congrats on tagging. Nothing like having a short drag. Then you can spend the rest of the time in camp.

Shane

G

·
Congrates on a nice Buck. Now my wife wants to know if you keep that head tied to your car and Bleach it that way. :lol:

·
Administrator
6,603 Posts
Holy cow azcat, that's a really nice 3-pt. Another season or two and he'd have grown into a toad. Congrats on your success.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Thats definately a decent 3x3. And loads of fat and meat. not a thing wrong with that. Not a thing.

Congrats. And enjoy the meat.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone!
Tall - My wife definitely did NOT think that hood ornament was neat. It was removed very shortly after I got home,
although that would be an interesting experiment to see how well it would bleach. May a long road trip up north? Last
truck in a convoy on a gravel road...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts