Arizona Hunting Forums banner

241 - 260 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
That is a beautiful English Setter. Looks like mine. What kennel did you get it from may I ask?
I got Jackson out of Snyder Setters out of Kalamazoo, MI. They breed a large setter. Jackson's father weighed 78# and mother 65#. Jackson just turned 8 months is about 68#'s. Blood lines are Round River Setters Ryman & Hemlock bloodline.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That type of setter started with George Ryman around 1920 or so. Mine is a Ryman type too out of Beryl's Setters in Wisconsin.
Yes I was on Deb Bierl's list for a pup last spring and summer buy the female who's list I was on had never came into season. I wanted a pup who would be 5-6 months old by September so we can hunt this season in Norther Arizona and Montana and we did. Jackson was born 3-19-20. She is located in Mellon, Wisconsin I believe. She has nice dogs for sure. My belief is things work out for a reason. I am very happy with Jackson and his blue belton markings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chloe just chilling on the farm with her friend Larry. We have been hammering obedience training lately while incorporating a ton of fetch and 10 or so blind retrieves a day. I came to the decision last night I was going to sit out this years OTC archery (for the first time in 8 years) to put all of my free hunting time into training and hunting dove, duck, and quail with her. Although a difficult decision for me, I figure this will pay off big time in the years to come... plus how could I leave that cute face behind!
IMG_2942jj.jpg

·
Registered
263 Posts
Chloe just chilling on the farm with her friend Larry. We have been hammering obedience training lately while incorporating a ton of fetch and 10 or so blind retrieves a day. I came to the decision last night I was going to sit out this years OTC archery (for the first time in 8 years) to put all of my free hunting time into training and hunting dove, duck, and quail with her. Although a difficult decision for me, I figure this will pay off big time in the years to come... plus how could I leave that cute face behind!
View attachment 22522
She is indeed cute. I find now with a puppy my road cycling is second in priority. Especially now working with a trainer in AL and that's all I am doing now while Jackson is a pup.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had a killer weekend at Roosevelt. We didn't get lots of numbers but the versatility of this dog makes her so fun to hunt, and fish with. We shot 3 ducks, 4 quail, 3 dove, and caught 6 bass. At 8 months, she toughs the cold and puts up with long paddles through the dark, she's a trooper.

IMG_3058.jpg
IMG_3068.jpg

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #255 (Edited)
Had a killer weekend at Roosevelt. We didn't get lots of numbers but the versatility of this dog makes her so fun to hunt, and fish with. We shot 3 ducks, 4 quail, 3 dove, and caught 6 bass. At 8 months, she toughs the cold and puts up with long paddles through the dark, she's a trooper.

View attachment 22722 View attachment 22724
Bravo! :D Were you able to get some birds to work the dekes?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Buster, besides a handful, most of the ducks didn't want much to do with my decoy spread. A lot of birds would pass by or circle high then land a hundred or two yards away. They definitely seemed to like the safety of where the coots were; which I'm sure you like to hear running your coot decoys.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Buster, besides a handful, most of the ducks didn't want much to do with my decoy spread. A lot of birds would pass by or circle high then land a hundred or two yards away. They definitely seemed to like the safety of where the coots were; which I'm sure you like to hear running your coot decoys.
Shh! Took me years of tinkering with spreads to learn what they like and don't like down here!

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Buster, Kind of looks like Klaus, Same breed ?

The ducks are coming down for sure, seen several flocks of mallards the other day stopping at local pond to catch their breaths for awhile, then gone headed toward Rosy .

241 - 260 of 272 Posts