Arizona Hunting Forums banner

Working Dog Photos

44K views 279 replies 34 participants last post by  Jacob Goulder 
#1 ·
With the doldrums of the off season setting in, I'd like to start a thread to see other dogs training, hunting, etc. This is done on a lot of other forums, so I hope it's welcome here!

To start, we train on water retrieves throughout the Summer to keep active and cool. After the pool gets too cold for humans to swim, I'll switch out the bumper for frozen ducks!

Let's see what everyone else is doing with their favorite hunting companion :D

Water Blue Swimming pool Azure Fluid

See less See more
#7 ·
Ogup, very nice. Now we want to see a picture of 'Rita! ;)

#12 ·
Bliss pointing a mama quail that has made the mistake of nesting in our backyard two years in a row. Last year the chicks hatched and we tried to get them out of there but she got a few of them. This year they didn't even make it that far and doggo got to add a few eggs to her diet lol!
My dog got a dove nest out of a tree in our back yard and ate both the baby doves. Our backyard is not a safe place for birds.

#11 ·
With the doldrums of the off season setting in, I'd like to start a thread to see other dogs training, hunting, etc. This is done on a lot of other forums, so I hope it's welcome here!

To start, we train on water retrieves throughout the Summer to keep active and cool. After the pool gets too cold for humans to swim, I'll switch out the bumper for frozen ducks!

Let's see what everyone else is doing with their favorite hunting companion :D

View attachment 9160

Attachments

#16 ·
Not your typical hunting dog. We adopted Sampson when he was 3 months old from the Orange County Animal Shelter. They said he was full Pit Bull but he's def mixed with some other breeds. He's always had a very strong prey drive, obsessed with retrieving, and he'd always point at bushes when he sensed something was in there. All my hunting was done out of state living in Orange County so I never thought of the possibility of training him for hunting. We have lived in Arizona for two hunting seasons without the aid of a dog and multiple failed quail hunting ventures I decided to get the ball rolling with Sampson. He's had a few sessions with Guy over at Mollicone Kennels and been working on his "woahs". He's 9 years old so I am not going to spend a ton of money on his training but I am excited to have him live out the rest of his days as a bird dog.
Dog Plant Carnivore Collar Grass

#20 ·
Sorry, I don't have many good pics of Sahua"Rita". I will capture some for future posts. She is a nut bar!! I really love that dog. She is a bird finding MACHINE!! I'm feeling guilty about keeping her here. She probably should go to a good home where she will be front-and-center rather than one-of-many here. I want her, but is it fair to Rita?

#23 ·
Sorry fellas, pretty sure I have first dibs on 'Rita around these parts. But I wouldn't be surprised if she is too rich for my blood, she is a classy lady after all!

Ogup, how about to assuage your guilt we make sure you get a chance to hunt behind Rita on some Mearns hunts when you come for your winter retreats. Think about it ;)

Reactions: Tres
#24 ·
Thank you kind gentlemen for your caring concerns, diverse recommendations coupled with heartfelt intentions.
I'm struggling internally right now. No knee-jerk decisions are forthcoming.
I have been offered "serious" remuneration for Rita locally and that would keep me in her life to a great extent. Still…..it just isn't that easy.
If I did part with her, I'd need:
- decent $$$$,
- an arrangement that let me hunt with her (along with her new owner) on occasion,
- IF she was to be bred (once), I'd want input on the sire with 2nd pick of 1 pup from this litter - subsequently, she is to be spayed.
Then again...I'm just not 100% sure.

#25 ·
Thank you kind gentlemen for your caring concerns, diverse recommendations coupled with heartfelt intentions.
I'm struggling internally right now. No knee-jerk decisions are forthcoming.
I have been offered "serious" remuneration for Rita locally and that would keep me in her life to a great extent. Still…..it just isn't that easy.
If I did part with her, I'd need:
- decent $$$$,
- an arrangement that let me hunt with her (along with her new owner) on occasion,
- IF she was to be bred (once), I'd want input on the sire with 2nd pick of 1 pup from this litter - subsequently, she is to be spayed.
Then again...I'm just not 100% sure.
You do have a tough decision to make. Always think, what would be best for her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.