Arizona Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Quick back story. Bought #6 a new 870 20ga youth for opening day dove last year. By the end of season he had growth spurt and now is taller than dad馃槧.
Anyways I extended lop with spacer but he'd like a 26" barrel instead of the 21" one.
Thanks for any info

Registered
I wish I had extra 870s. Idk where they came from but used racks at big box were filled with different variations of 870s for a premium! Couldn't believe it. Hopefully you find one tho! Kids gotta hunt

Registered
I鈥檝e got three of them, but they are all left handed so probably not what you want!

Reactions: Savageman2506

Registered
Quick back story. Bought #6 a new 870 20ga youth for opening day dove last year. By the end of season he had growth spurt and now is taller than dad馃槧.
Anyways I extended lop with spacer but he'd like a 26" barrel instead of the 21" one.
Thanks for any info
I'll keep an eye out. I've seen a couple 870 barrels at local gunstores but I'll have to check gauge and length.

Registered
Remington actually made several upland specific models with only 21鈥 barrels and English stocks (the 1100, 11-87 and 870 all had this configuration). I have the 870 model in 12 gauge with two different 21鈥 barrels. Yes, it is harder to shoot than a longer barrel but it has its advantages too, especially on quick flushing quail! He might find that the shorter barrel is just fine.

Reactions: Savageman2506

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Savageman, thanks. If you do find let me know.
Highbirds, thanks. Yeah #4 is my only wrong handed kid (ginger too馃檮)but always he's shot my rights. I told #6 he'd like short barrel later on. That's why I'd rather buy than trade.
Thanks to everyone for advise and info. Hopefully a barrel comes available that doesn't cost me s much as whole gun did馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for input. IF anybody comes across an 870 barrel, I'd still be interested in purchasing. Until then I'm gonna fit his existing barrel with an extended choke.
Anyone have suggestions or one they are getting rid of? IC

Registered
IC or Mod in Rem choke is plenty. Mod never leaves my 870 though. It鈥檚 all a guy needs. Hopefully there will be new barrels out of their NY facility soon. Word on the street is that Remington was working on an 870 revamp just as they went under and new management is alleged to be starting with just 870 line first. I have a 28鈥 barrel on my express 870 and it is a better feel versus the 26鈥 (for me personally). It鈥檚 funny how things change, because gun shops couldn鈥檛 beg people to buy the 20 gauge 870Es just a short time ago. The quality really slipped in more recent lots. I hope they come back with the quality many of us were accustomed to!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts