Arizona Hunting Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got my winchester single shot .410 at age 8.
#2,#4,&#6 all started dove hunting with it. Hopefully I'll still be hunting when grandkids are ready.

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Another old thread coming back to life. My first, a Break action, single shot .410, love this gun, got it when I was 10, from my dad for christmas, still got that gun in safe, along with a vintage box of Winchester paper .410 ammo. Then to a .20, break action, single shot at 15, still have it also, saw in safe this weekend, barrel is getting rusty these days.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Bear, throw some oil on that thing!

Reactions: Savageman2506

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well i still haven't bought him a shotgun so I guess its AOK this thread came back to life. I suppose the problem now is will I even be able to find ammo if I do buy one....

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well i still haven't bought him a shotgun so I guess its AOK this thread came back to life. I suppose the problem now is will I even be able to find ammo if I do buy one....
I've been seeing plenty of 28 gauge ammo these days... Might be a good one to start. Recoil is light, gun is light, but it'll be a good upland gun for years to come.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Another thought to consider: if you are interested in a single shot or O/U; you could go with a 20ga. and then purchase 410 or 28ga shot tubes for it. Makes the shotgun more versatile. Provides that lower gauge for less recoil, and you still have a larger gauge when he grows. Also provides more options in one gun to use different gauge tubes for different uses.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've been seeing plenty of 28 gauge ammo these days... Might be a good one to start. Recoil is light, gun is light, but it'll be a good upland gun for years to come.
Yes! Great gauge that is getting overlooked by the hoarders and gougers.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Not sure your budget and such but you can buy a new Stevens 555 O/U at Sportsmans right now.
Or if the budget is a bit more open:

·
Registered
707 Posts

Is that in pesos? Wowzer!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm also on the hunt for a shotgun for my son. I checked around Casa Grande and found a youth model, Savage over and under in the 410 version. Pretty sweet little gun but not sure I'm willing to pay $550 for it. CAL ranch had some Italian brand youth model, single shot in 410 and 20 gauge. Wasn't impressed with them but only $120. Will keep looking.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

$89K....need to get 2 of them at that price....

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yeah $89K is even out of budget for a boat haha. I might look at Cal Ranch this weekend I am hoping to find something used in the $200-$250 range which might be a pipe dream in this market....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm also on the hunt for a shotgun for my son. I checked around Casa Grande and found a youth model, Savage over and under in the 410 version. Pretty sweet little gun but not sure I'm willing to pay $550 for it. CAL ranch had some Italian brand youth model, single shot in 410 and 20 gauge. Wasn't impressed with them but only $120. Will keep looking.
Do you remember what the brand was? I doubt anything coming out of Italy would be that cheap, probably a Turkish clone of an Italian model. Could be wrong though.

Probably one reason that 28 gauge shells are so abundant right now is that there aren't a ton of guns made in the gauge, especially in a single shot which is pretty much unheard of. And you really can't get a hold of .410 shells right now. Even online retailers are marking them up 200-300% when they get them in stock.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Do you remember what the brand was? I doubt anything coming out of Italy would be that cheap, probably a Turkish clone of an Italian model. Could be wrong though.

Probably one reason that 28 gauge shells are so abundant right now is that there aren't a ton of guns made in the gauge, especially in a single shot which is pretty much unheard of. And you really can't get a hold of .410 shells right now. Even online retailers are marking them up 200-300% when they get them in stock.
I don't remember the brand. I do know it was three letters, and 2 of the letters were T and I. I don't remember the order. If it is still there when I drop by again, I will check.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sounds like ATI. Yep, most of their stuff comes out of Turkey as far as I know. I was looking at their Nomad model which is probably what they had in Cal Ranch. It looks like its based on the classic Beretta design that has been copied a million times now, except it has an external hammer which is kind of a bummer in my book. I am sure Hammerguy would be thrilled though 😆

·
Registered
707 Posts
Sounds like ATI. Yep, most of their stuff comes out of Turkey as far as I know. I was looking at their Nomad model which is probably what they had in Cal Ranch. It looks like its based on the classic Beretta design that has been copied a million times now, except it has an external hammer which is kind of a bummer in my book. I am sure Hammerguy would be thrilled though 😆
That sounds right. I have zero experience with break action shotguns and thought it was interesting that to break the gun the trigger guard pulls back. If these are reliable guns it might be a great option for my youngster.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It is a pretty simple and robust design. I would just make sure your little guy can open the gun up on his own. Break action guns tend to take a little extra muscle, especially new ones which can be very stiff!

·
Super Moderator
13,711 Posts
Most Ruger # 1s are like this, Very dependable Guns, you learn to load fast. Locks up tight, no slop.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts